Author Topic: Bladder Incontinence - UPDATE  (Read 2703 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Bladder Incontinence - UPDATE
« on: February 19, 2017, 04:05:30 PM »
For the last three nights Jazz has had an accident in the kitchen during the night.  This has just come from nowhere.  I refer to him as Mr Iron Bladder.  He is so clean and can hold himself overnight with no problem, even after my Sunday lie in.  Normally when I let him out there is no urgency whatsoever, he will have a roll on the patio and then a good sniff round before he has a wee.  Unfortunately he does not wake me to let him out so I have put newspaper down for the last two nights and he has weed on that. (Not ideal I know).  I obviously realise he needs a vet appointment but I wondered if anyone had any experience of this, it has happened so suddenly.  He will be 12 in March. 

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
Re: Bladder Incontinence
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 04:21:58 PM »
Our old female labrador had age related incontinence from about 11 yrs. She had drops from the vet and was much better once she was on them. Not sure if it's same in males but it is quite common in older dogs (according to our old vet, though again this was for a female). I think it can be a sign of infection though so always good to get it checked out with the vet. Hope Jazz gets sorted out quickly xx

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Bladder Incontinence
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:23:16 PM »
My first thought was a touch of an infection, so that is worth a check.  Also it can happen as they get older.  But there are meds available that seem to be pretty good. xx

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Re: Bladder Incontinence - UPDATE
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »
Sadly Jazz has been diagnosed with diabetes today.  This was obviously a great shock, although the thought had gone through my mind as he was drinking quite a lot more than normal yesterday.  The vet has taken bloods for further analysis at the lab and he is booked in for the day on Thursday to have hourly checks on his blood sugar in order to determine the appropriate insulin dosage.   The vet has advised that the nursing staff will teach me how to inject Jazz twice a day and he will need regular blood tests to monitor his glucose levels. 

Does anyone have experience of owning a dog with diabetes.  It all feels rather daunting to me at the moment. 

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:34:08 PM »
I don't personally, but I know someone who does.  It took a wee bit of time to get a routine established, but they got things levelled out, and got on okay.  It is a shock to the system, so not at all surprised you feel daunted.  xx

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 10:38:24 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Don't have any advice unfortunately just wanted to send positive thoughts and wish you both well!

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 05:27:53 PM »
So sorry to hear this news.  I am sure you and Jazz will soon get used to the routines.

Thinking of you.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 05:39:57 PM »
Ah, poor jazz, and poor you. At least you got a quick diagnosis. Hugs and best wishes all round.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 05:46:24 PM »
Poor old boy,  and poor you.  Horrible news.

Our old girl Betty had similar symptoms as a result of kidney failure.  Oddly her bladder incontinence was more difficult for her to cope with ( big embarrassment) than it was for us.

Our best wishes to you both, and we hope the insulin treatment will do the trick.
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:56 AM »
My only experience was with a cat and I found it really easy to inject him daily. You just have to set yourself up with an ideal regimen and stick with it that's all (Ollie's was one at 9am and the other at 9pm) but you have to stick to the time you choose or if you miss an hour then you need to adjust accordingly - your vet should be able to let you know re this. I practised in the surgery using water on Ollie but picked it up beter than I thought I would (my vet even let me do his antibiotic injections when Ollie was ill one time whne he needed daily ones so we could avoid him having to go to the out of hours vets for them)

Hope you manage to sort everything out
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!