Author Topic: Toadstools  (Read 1691 times)

sarahR

Toadstools
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:30:28 AM »
Does anyone know if those little toadstools that grow in lawns are poisonous just worried in case the pup picks them up. I am collecting them as soon as i see one and putting them in the bin. Thanks.

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
Re: Toadstools
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 08:32:12 AM »
I'd be interested in this answer too and we have quite a few in our lawn (to us that is, to others it is a patch of scrub).

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 08:50:54 AM »
I hope not.....I have hundreds of them!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:00:44 AM »
I had them in the lawn of the house where we used to live and couldn't identify them so carefully removed them in case the dogs were attracted to them. Fairy rings often form where a tree or shrub has been removed and aren't specific to one type of fungus, so I think they're best removed or fenced off just to be on the safe side.

I also keep a close eye on William and Louis on our New Forest walks from late summer and through autumn because of the huge number and variety of fungi/toadstools. I've never seen them show any interest yet, but I know that some toadstools, like the bright red, white spotted Fly Agaric, are poisonous. Those are easy to identify but lots of the others aren't.

Offline Mrs B

• Butter wouldn't melt!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 02:16:12 PM »
I am really glad someone has asked this question.  Just recently I have picked loads of toadstools out of the garden just in case Cinders decided to have a munch on one.  At the moment I am always going out with her just in case she decides to have a nibble, but must admit she doesn't seem that bothered.  I am the one on picking toadstool duty just as a precaution.  Not sure how we can get rid of them without putting anything on the grass that will upset our pooch!
Mrs B & Cinders xx

Offline cockers rock!

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 07:05:31 PM »
I'm pleased someone mentioned this too!!!

-there seems to be a toadstool epidemic - they are in our garden and the local park! :o

Fortunately Hector does not seem at all interested in them

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »
My friends puppy labrador got poisoned yesterday on toadstools, she was pumped with charcoal last night and is now stable but still at the vets on morphine  :'(   so be very careful

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 11:38:05 AM »
I'm pleased someone mentioned this too!!!

-there seems to be a toadstool epidemic - they are in our garden and the local park! :o

I think its down to the weather we're having at the moment, which is ideal for them
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:42:09 PM »
My friends puppy labrador got poisoned yesterday on toadstools, she was pumped with charcoal last night and is now stable but still at the vets on morphine  :'(   so be very careful

Oh my goodness! That's awful! We have a crop too. I keep picking and disposing them but it feels like for every one I remove, two more grow in its place. Hope the puppy feels better soon.
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"