Author Topic: Training treats  (Read 722 times)

Offline liamsmum

Training treats
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »
Liam is going to puppy class and they use the occasional treat as a reward/bribe but Liam isnt fussed about treats like all the other pups he does not see the urgency to come bounding! Ive tried several sorts of training treat as well as cheese, sausage, hot dog sausage but he just ambles along I have also tried sqeeky toy, raggy you name it the trainer cant believe how laid back he is, He walks to heel on the lead sits when told but the recall bit he just sits there as if to say why?  :005: Any idea on how to gee him up a bit? I should say hes the same on a walk but mental at home! Hr strolls through the agility tunnel like it was a sunday walk in the park!

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
Re: Training treats
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:51:32 PM »
oh well if he dose not like Hot dog then i dont know
what about home made liver cake....
it dose not take long to make and you can freeze it

Offline black taz

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:57:11 PM »
if you make livercake, add fresh crushed garlic - stinks it up a treat.  I also add crated carrot and chopped parsley into mine to bulk it out a bit.

You can also use tuna, or pilchard cake.  I occasionally make it with tuna, pilchard and salmon (when on special offer) altogether as well.

Just google livercake, there are recipes out there.

Offline liamsmum

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 03:09:18 PM »
thanks I havent heard of that i will have a look!

Offline maddy74

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »
We used used to take bits of chicken when Willow did puppy class. Does he stay close to you off the lead when out or have you not tried him yet, if he ambles coming back, he might amble going. Running the other way is a good way to get them to follow you. he does sound pretty laid back for a cocker, could this be the calm before the storm  :005: :005:

Offline JulieM

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »
Florence gets EXTREMELY excited by sardine bread..recipe shared on COL which works really well...

1 tin of sardines with the liquid
1 egg including shell
Flour

Put tin of sardines and liquid in bowl, mix in egg and crush up egg shell in there too. Add a spoonful of flour and mix up, add more flour until it makes a dough consistency. Flatten down and whack in the microwave for 4 mins. Then just cut into little bits. You can freeze and they will eat it pretty much out of the freezer so you don't have to bother about de-frosting. Warning that it does make the microwave smell a little bit! If Liam doesn't go for that then he's a unique cocker  :005:

Offline liamsmum

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 11:57:05 AM »
I will be making some tomorrow altho he is quite keen on frankfuters now! Thanks for sharing.
He mostly ambles about when off the lead normally trotts along behind me but i dont know what would happen if he saw another dogs or children he loves kids. Hewill race around if our Patterdale is with me but he has to be on an extending lead or I'd never see him again.