Author Topic: Excited Barking  (Read 606 times)

Offline saffysmum

Excited Barking
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »
OK, so I will try and explain our situation.  I have 2 cockers and a springer. 
My springer is always totally silent. 
My old cocker is a barker but only out on walks when I'm about to throw something for them to fetch.
My young cocker is also the same, only when I'm playing fetch, she will bark for me to throw something again(very excitedly!!)

We meet up and walk with another cocker who is the daughter of the oldest and all hell breaks loose!! They all bark constantly!! And me and her owner are trying to shut them up(to no avail).  The only thing that'll work with mine is to not start any fetch games then I get a silent walk but this just makes my friends cocker more vocal.  She likes to think that she is barking to show us where the stuff is she wants us the throw!! And, of course, the choir joins in! >:(.  It's getting out of hand.  This other cocker also cannot play quietly even in the house.  My lot will rumble about silently but if she joins in, she barks constantly through excitement and the only way to stop her is to stop the play.

My friend has taught her 'speak' and then 'quiet' which she will do on her own but if there is another dog there, all training goes out the window and she won't do it outside either(when other dogs are there).

I hope I have explained this well enough for someone to understand and maybe help?! We are at our wits end with the constant noise when out our lovely country walks.  Maybe we will start leaving the dogs at home!!lol.  I am willing to try anything at this point!
There is a puddle on the floor,
tis there for all to see,
now is this puddle H20,
or is this K9 pee?

Offline minimoo

• Donator
Re: Excited Barking
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:21:27 AM »
no help but i will be watching this thread , as soon as i get the collars out its mayhem in our house with all three winding each other up and barking like crazy , if the dog you are talking about is young it may just be attention seeking and excitement , im sure someone will be along with advice soon  :D
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline saffysmum

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:49:22 AM »
No, she's not young, she's 4 coming on 5!! They are aged 10 yrs, 4 yrs and almost 2.
I think this must get most doggie folk stumped to be honest.  I posted on another general dog forum to see if they had an answer for this but to no avail so I thought that I would see if it could be a breed thing.  I think I might just need to live with the noise ph34r
There is a puddle on the floor,
tis there for all to see,
now is this puddle H20,
or is this K9 pee?

Offline wendyt

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:19:45 PM »
I'll be interested in this topic as I have a similar thing with my 2 boys who are almost 2 and 3 years old. They are always running around but if I stop to talk to anyone they get very impatient and start to bark. Also when we do training (we use quite a few different places for this) they can't pass these spots without starting to bark for their balls/dummies. When I tell them quiet they will sit and be quiet as they know they only get their balls when they are quiet, but on retreival they will deliver no bother but will start barking again if I'm not fast enough.
I met a friend on the beach this morning with her 5 poodles who are obsessed with tennis balls and bark constantly,she doesn't seem to mind the racket her dogs make, but I didn't stop long to chat as my 2 decided to join in as they wanted their balls and the noise was awful.

I was telling another friend who has 2 super quiet Springers about our barking problem, and she said "why do you think they're called Gobby Cockers", so maybe it is a breed thing. Saying that if they are put on their leads the barking will stop. Hopefully someone will have some advice on how to deal with this.