Author Topic: Blue eye  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Nate

Blue eye
« on: July 02, 2014, 04:58:05 PM »
Last weekend I visited a breeder who has orange roan and blue roan puppies. Of course they are lovely  :luv:. One of the orange roan puppy has one blue eye, fortunately not blind. However I forgot to ask wether he can hear.  :huh:
Now I wonder wether the other puppies are also carrier of that "blue eye" gene or is it only the one with that eye that must be excluded from breeding? The breeder himself doesn't know, as it is the first time they have this in their breed.
Should this puppy be sold cheaper than the others, because of this nature's mistake?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Blue eye
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »
I don't think the genetics of this have been researched as it's not that common and doesn't tend to be associated with any health problems in Cockers (there may be increased risk of deafness but this seems to be more of a problem with breeds with the merle gene which Cockers don't have) We have bred just one puppy in over 30 years with a blue eye - she was and is perfectly healthy :luv: As to whether a reduced price should be paid, that would be v much down to the individual breeder as it's more of a cosmetic issue than a defect as such.

Jane

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 08:17:58 PM »
My first dog was a liver and white springer. He had two blue eyes. He wasn't deaf but he was a complete IDIOT!!
He was bred by my parents and was the only one they ever had from either parent with it. The vet couldn't shed any light on it at the time. It was about 35 years ago!

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 07:42:38 AM »
Our neighbour has a springer with two piercing blue eyes, they're quite something!  :luv: He's not deaf. He's a busy bee but only what you'd expect from a working springer :)

I wouldn't be surprised someone capitalising on it though - like pink chihuahuas, blue staffies, 'rare blue eyed...'.

One day, if love a mini Aussie shepherd or Alaskan Klee Kai - some if them have blue eyes, really striking! X