Author Topic: Opal 5 Year Old Girl @ Many Tears  (Read 3940 times)

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
Opal 5 Year Old Girl @ Many Tears
« on: March 02, 2014, 09:08:36 AM »

28-02-14 Opal is a 5 year old exbreeding Cocker Spaniel. She is a quiet girl but she is as sweet as sugar.  She has been groomed today and has been patient the whole time. She has cateracts in both eyes so her sight is very limited. We will assess her eyes further with our vet. Opal is an absolute darling and is looking for a quiet and calm home where she can start to relax and enjoy new home comforts. She will need a kind dog in her new home to be her guide and introduce her to new skills such as housetraining etc.

http://www.manytearsrescue.org/display_mtar_dog.php?id=10067
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
Re: Opal 5 Year Old Girl @ Many Tears
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 10:40:58 AM »
14/03/14
Opal has been with me a few days now and she is a complete sweetheart, so gentle and kind natured to both humans and dogs. She is quite exhausted and does spend a lot of the day asleep but does explore the garden quite happily at her own steady pace.  House training is work in progress at the moment but this will come with time and I won't attempt lead walking with her for at least another week whilst she builds up her energy levels. Her vision is limited but she is very clever and has learnt her way around my house and garden very quickly.
.....Opal has been to Rowe Vets who have confined that she has cataracts in both eyes, her corneas are not in good condition and nor are her eyelids. However the good news is that providing she passes a few more tests she will be suitable for cataract surgery. In the meantime she is on a daily regime of drops to hopefully improve the condition of her eyes prior to surgery.
.....Opal is just beautiful in every way and so trusting that I really hope someone will see past the difficulties she has with her eyes and give her the forever home that she so deserves.

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »
What a beautiful, beautiful girly you are Opal :luv: :luv:
Everything crossed for your operation & that your future home is just around the corner
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:27:05 PM »
Bless her, hope she finds a wonderful forever home very soon.

Offline Dinah

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
 Fingers crossed that something can be done for her sight.  Heartbreaking that at only 5 she seems such a worn out little cocker.  She's in the right place for now 'though and I'm sure with the tlc she's getting Opal will become a lovely pet cocker.

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »
13-05-14 UPDATE
.....Opal has finally been able to have cataract surgery in both eyes thanks to Rowe Vets in Bristol and the Gift of Sight Fund. They are pleased with how the surgery went and Opal was allowed home today where she walked back in and straight away went to sit in her favourite place, the toy box! She definitely has some vision as I can already notice a difference in her behaviour and she now looks straight at me when I call her name which is just fantastic to watch.
.....Opal is now on a drop regime of five different drops several times a day to help her eyes recover and remain healthy. The next few weeks are critical to her recovery and Opal will be ready for adoption once Rowe Vets are satisfied that her eyes have stabilised which is likely to be a minimum of eight weeks.  Whoever is lucky enough to adopt this beautiful girl will need to be able to commit to any ongoing eye care that is required and be in travelling distance of a recognised Opthalmic Vets, taking into account that no eye medication or treatment will ever be covered by insurance. As Opal's eyes adapt over the next few weeks we will have a better idea of her eye care requirements in the future. Opal has been through a great deal and nothing but the best will do for her when she begins the next chapter of her life.

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 12:25:22 PM »
What fantastic news & looking so different already.
Hoping for a forever home for you soon Sweetheart :luv: :luv:
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 01:10:51 PM »
Isn't it amazing what love, care and a good hair-do can do for a girl  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Someone will be very lucky to have Opal in their lives - hope it won't be too long before she can be in the comfort of her 'own' home for ever  :D

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 09:51:56 PM »
What a difference already.  Really pleased for her.

Offline revis

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 10:43:38 PM »
Such a lovely girl just hope that she finds a home soon. Opal is the image of my Jessie previously Fizz who was a Many Tears girl.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 02:34:27 PM »
 :luv:  :luv:

What a transformation.  Opal looked old, scared and very sad on those first photos.  Lovely girl.  Do hope someone comes along for you sweetheart.

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 02:55:17 PM »
17-07-14 UPDATE

.....Well Opal's time has finally come and she is now available for adoption. Opal has been with me for 20 weeks and has been a delight to foster and is a beautiful, loving, waggly tailed spaniel who just loves life.
.....Opal underwent successful cataract surgery in May and Rowe Vets are now happy that her eyes are now stable enough for her to be able to move on to her forever home. However Opal's eyes aren't straightforward and whoever is lucky enough to adopt her must be committed to her eye drop regime and Opthalmic vet check ups potentially for the rest of her life. Opal is currently on five different drops a day, three of which the vets are planning to be able to reduce and hopefully stop over the coming months. The other two she is likely to be on for the rest of her life so eye drops will be become part of a daily routine and it is essential this is followed. Opal is very used to her drops and vet check ups and takes it all in her stride.
.....Ideally I would like Opal to be able to stay with Rowe Vets as they know her and her eyes so well  but if this really isn't possible then you will need to provide details of the Opthalmic vets you would like to use and we will check to ensure they are able to offer the follow up care Opal requires. Please also keep in view that no eye drops, treatment or check ups will be covered by insurance, so at the moment eye drops would cost approximately £75 a month for the five different drops.
.....Opal travels well in the car, sleeps in her bed in my bedroom at night and  is walking on a harness but struggles to go in a straight line because everything is so exciting! She needs a nice gentle dog to be her friend and show her the way in her new home, and she adores humans so ideally I would like someone to be home with her as much as possible. She is just brilliant at the vets and is happily groomed, and spends the time lapping up the attention with a waggly tail. I have never had a dog whose tail wags the whole time she is at the vets!
.....Opal has been through a lot in the past few weeks so now deserves a forever home where she will be forever loved and never want for anything again. Please don't apply for her unless you can clearly show you understand and are committed to supporting her with her eyes as I don't want her to be let down in the future - she really doesn't deserve that.

Offline Dinah

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 07:35:32 PM »
 :D  Opal is showing as reserved. :bigarmhug:

Offline Dinah

Opal at Many Tears Animal Rescue
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 09:29:15 AM »
Opal is showing as available again. :'(

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Opal at Many Tears Animal Rescue
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 10:25:28 AM »
Yes I noticed this - last update on 1st Aug said her eyes were stable and would need eye drops daily, she has come along way bless her, hope she finds the forever home she deserves.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed