Author Topic: Poppy 3 Year Old Girl @ Many Tears  (Read 1210 times)

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
Poppy 3 Year Old Girl @ Many Tears
« on: April 20, 2016, 01:52:36 PM »
http://www.manytearsrescue.org/display_mtar_dog.php?id=12926

19/04-16 Poppy is a stunning 3 year old ex-breeding Cocker Spaniel who has very sadly been returned through no fault of her own and has been in foster with me for 3 days.  It’s very hard to put into a few words just how gorgeous this girl is!
Poppy is totally house trained with not a single accident. She shares my home with 3 small female dogs and has really latched onto my Bichon who is a gentle, kind dog and loves to cuddle up with her, therefore a similar dog or even dogs in her new home is a must.
Poppy eats well, sleeps curled up next to me at night but when I wake in the morning, has settled down on a dog bed in my room. She won’t take treats from my hand, but if I place a treat in front of her she will gently take it.  Poppy has a Grade 2 heart murmur but this does not affect her in any way and she is on no medication for it at present.
Although Poppy has been in a home for 12 months, she is still a nervous girl which becomes more apparent when you take her out. I have taken her with my dogs for short walks – she walks really well on a harness and lead but you can see the world is still a scary place for Poppy. I took her along a tree lined walk today used by other dog walkers and she was visibly more relaxed, sniffing, little nose to the ground and doing what Cocker’s enjoy doing! She looks to me for reassurance whilst out walking and with gentle encouragement, did really well today.
Even though Poppy is still nervous, she craves human company – she lies on my spare bed while I’m on the computer and as I talk to her, her tail will wag nineteen to the dozen. She will come and sit by me on the settee and loves to be stroked and have her chin tickled. My Mum came to visit today and she jumped up on the settee with my dogs for a fuss!
I have so much admiration for the way Poppy has adapted to what has been a really big upheaval for her. Poppy’s next home HAS to be perfect and her forever home as she has had too much change in her young life. The perfect home for Poppy would be: -
A quiet, relaxed home with owners who are experienced with nervous and/or ex breeding dogs.
Her people would need to be at home most of the time – someone who works from home perhaps or an active retired household
I feel a home with children would be too “busy” for Poppy but visiting, dog savvy grandchildren would be fine
A home where there is one or more kind, loving dogs who will welcome her and help her gain in confidence
A very secure garden – Poppy’s previous family informed me she can leap if startled/frightened
Above all, Poppy needs a home where her owners have infinite patience and kindness, who will let her take things at her own pace, who will realise that Poppy may take time to be completely comfortable and happy in her new home and will love and cherish this beautiful girl the way she deserves to be.
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo