Author Topic: Working home needed for 12 month wcs - Spaniel Aid  (Read 1933 times)

Offline rubybella

Working home needed for 12 month wcs - Spaniel Aid
« on: October 26, 2016, 03:58:31 PM »
DOGS NEEDING HOMES

TEDDY

Teddy is a 12 month old working cocker who was proving too much for his previous owners and getting frustrated causing aggressive behaviour. Typical WCS full of life and energy, has taken to a working foster home with great enthusiasm . Fast learner and has been introduced to game birds where he's picked up pheasants with confidence and has started Dogging in with no issues.
Natural worker and fast learner with great recall and a good nose. Shown no aggression in his foster home and is house trained.
Ready to start his working career  in an experienced home with working gundogs as this is what suits this boy best with someone experienced in this field.
He is not a dog that you can take out beating on a shoot every now and again once a week. This boy needs a proper working home with either a gamekeeper or with someone that works Gundogs for a living. His foster mum Abi can see how he would have struggled as a pet only.
He is a blank canvas and needs nurturing and training to get the best out of him.    In foster in Kent Teddy is  neutered, chipped, vaccinated, wormed and flead and adoption is subject to meet and greet, homecheck and adoption fee of £200. Applications via the website please.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Working home needed for 12 month wcs - Spaniel Aid
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 04:37:51 PM »
I truly hope they haven't been dogging in with a 1 year old cocker - how to ruin a good dog in one go  >:D

Hope he finds his forget home quickly although I'm not certain he will get a good working home now - this has made me so angry

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 05:34:31 PM »
Mmmm from memory thats what Jinley was best at!!  Also known as buggering off and doing her own thing!  >:D >:D

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:45:46 PM »
Just for interest, what is 'dogging in'.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 08:55:41 PM »

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 11:22:23 PM »
Just be careful what you Google :shades:

:005: :005:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 12:45:28 AM »
Just for interest, what is 'dogging in'.

I think it really depends on which part of the country you are in.  The link Pat posted gives a flavour of the issues that can become a learned behaviour for dogs.

In this area, dogging in is for dogs that (in the main) are allowed to run free at distance from the handler.  Pearl is great at dogging in but it means I can't take her beating anymore as she runs too far ahead!  Where she used to be 20-30 feet from me, she now disappears into the distance and would clear the drive on her own in a few minutes   :o

Purdey is fab, she's 6.5 years old and an all rounder with a great stop and recall.  She stops on shot and flush but we wouldn't ask Purdey to dog in as she may start pulling further out....

Coral and Sally are just too young to beat let alone dog-in and both are 2 years +/-

To ask a one year old cocker to push birds on runs the risk of teaching it to chase and that's the bit that upset me - he's effectively a blank canvas that may be a really good worker with the right handling.  I spend all my time keeping Coral close and stopping her when she flushes (when she does stop) if Teddy gets a taste for chasing to stop him doing it in the future will be very difficult.....I have a natural chaser so know just how hard this is.

I did go onto the Spaniel Aid page to ask them to consider changing the post but they see very defensive to the point that I won't bother to comment in future.  The dog sounds as though he has a great foster home and isn't actually dogging in - he's being allowed to run on then recalled from the birds, that is a very different message to the one in his "CV".  The latter is a great advert and I would imagine he'll find his new home very quickly. 

My previous post had a typo - "forget home" should have read "forever home"!