Author Topic: Advice Please!!  (Read 1739 times)

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
Advice Please!!
« on: November 10, 2006, 11:49:58 PM »
Hi all

I'm completely new to this forum business so please forgive me if my posting technique isn't brill. :-)

I'm planning on adopting a rescue Cocker around Feb time next year (once I'm settled in my new house) and I was wondering if anyone could advise me on when I should begin looking?  Should I be putting myself on waiting lists with Cocker Spaniel Club rescue reps soon etc?  I've read other people's posts who are looking for a Cocker and they all seem to be having trouble finding one. 

Thanks

;)
Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Re: Advice Please!!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 01:32:23 AM »
x
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Danno

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:03:36 AM »
Hi

My first post here too...

We're collecting our rescue dog tomorrow (as long as everything goes to plan) and it's taken us just over four months of phone calls, visits to animal shelters and countless hours spent on websites.

It probably took us longer because we weren't decided on a breed - if a breed at all.  I really wanted a Tibetan Terrier to start off, then we thought about a Beagle, then a Labrador, and came around to a Cocker when we realised it the closest to perfect we'd ever get.  We've got a nice 2bed victorian house, and whilst Queenie's not too big - i'm not going to look silly walking her!

I would suggest you start looking NOW.  You have to be prepared for people not responding to you, thinking that you're at work too much, and a whole host of other things.

Good luck...

Edited to remove name of website not recommended on COL due to the fact it carries huge numbers of ads from commercial breeders and BYBs

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 09:46:09 AM »
I'm planning on adopting a rescue Cocker around Feb time next year (once I'm settled in my new house) and I was wondering if anyone could advise me on when I should begin looking?  Should I be putting myself on waiting lists with Cocker Spaniel Club rescue reps soon etc?  I've read other people's posts who are looking for a Cocker and they all seem to be having trouble finding one. 

If you are looking for a rescue Cocker, then the contacts & website listed on the 2nd post of this  board are the best place to start. You must be prepared to be patient as while there are Cockers coming into rescue on a regular basis, they may not be suitable for your particular home or they may not be what you are looking for if you have a particular preference for colour or sex of dog. Please only get a rescue dog from a reputable source which will offer you back up and support afterwards for as long as you need it. You will find plenty of ads on free ad websites for older Cockers but these are not generally rescues, they are being offered for sale and you will have no support afterwards if things don't work out. If you are prepared to be patient, then eventually you'll find the right dog for you and your family :blink:
Jane

Offline GJB1979

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 05:30:00 PM »
Im new to this site too, and am looking for a either a puppy or a rescue dog soon.

The link below may help?

http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/rescue.htm

Good Luck!

Offline rachie250876

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 07:05:13 PM »
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum and well done for considering a rescue.

www.dogpages.org.uk  sometimes have cockers on. 

Not sure what part of the country you are in, but here in Yorkshire like most parts of the country it is worth checking out your local council dog pound, as sometimes cockers and other pedigrees end up here and if they are not claimed within 7 days are then able to be adopted - also as some of these may be full to busting point they sometimes end up having to put some unwanted dogs to sleep-  which is very sad and not many people are actually aware that this practice is carried on.......

Good luck on your search - don't be put off by prospective re-homers asking you lots of questions it just means that they are interested in the dogs welfare as most dogs come into rescue after people thoughtlessing purchasing them in the first place.

Hope this is some help....

Rachel  :D

Our doggie family is :- Amber 11yrs (Weimaraner), Bilbo 4yrs(Collie) and Rosie and Sally(Orange Roan cocker) cocker's belong to mother in law ! although having now experienced life with a cocker I think I may be looking in a couple of years :-)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 07:39:19 PM »
Not sure what part of the country you are in, but here in Yorkshire like most parts of the country it is worth checking out your local council dog pound, as sometimes cockers and other pedigrees end up here and if they are not claimed within 7 days are then able to be adopted - also as some of these may be full to busting point they sometimes end up having to put some unwanted dogs to sleep-  which is very sad and not many people are actually aware that this practice is carried on.......

Be aware though that these dogs are unassessed and no one knows why they came to be in the pounds --- its far better to adopt a dog if you can from one of the many rescues round the UK who assess their dogs and homecheck as well.

I fostered a cracking young cocker (about 18 mo old) who was very much a wild child and quite a handful --- he was dumped in the pound but one of the rescues I help with took him out and he's now been rehomed but with full back of that rescue etc. and in a home suited to him. Dogs like this can sadly get passed around and get worse as they're dumped because the owners can't cope
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!