Author Topic: Wanted - Rescue Cocker  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Iain

Wanted - Rescue Cocker
« on: March 25, 2014, 12:56:23 PM »
We lost Elliott at 14.5 a little over 4 weeks ago, to me the most amazingly characterful and loving dog, he worked, flushing and picking up. He loved to play and was constantly on the go.
He had a great home life with a doggie pal in residence and really was a huge part of our household. As many will have experienced this is a devastating time, we got so much from Ellie and hoped to have given back to him equally.
Ellie will always have a place in our hearts and can never be replaced but there is a hole in our lives that can only be filled by another characterful Cocker.
Instead of a puppy we feel that being able to home a rescue dog allows us to give back. We have started to search for the right dog; up to two years old so we can invest longterm, a girl or a boy, working or show, trained or not we don't much mind. We are experienced and patient and know that we can give a secure, stable and affectionate environment.
We have registered with a number of the rescue organisations and hope that our next Cocker appears, however I'm a proactive sort, and recognise that we won't have 'covered all of the bases' I'd ask if you know of a dog from a rescue please do get in touch. Thanks so much Iain     

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: Wanted - Rescue Cocker
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »
Worth a look here if you're prepared to travel

http://www.workingcockerspanielrescue.co.uk/index.php/rescue-dogs

Also Nessr get cockers in  too, but I don't think they have any cockers in at the moment.

http://www.nessr.net/smf/index.php?board=5.0

Worth registering and getting homechecks done.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline rednblack

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »
So sorry to hear of your sad loss of Elliott, he sounds like a super lad.

Have you looked at Cocker and English Springer Spaniel Rescue's website?  http://www.caessr.org.uk/   
Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.

Offline Lacie_B

• Donator
  • Bina's Lacie
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 01:37:38 PM »
I agree with the above, I was registered with a few rescue places including CAESSR, just males when I last looked. and I was specific wanting a small, black female up to five years old... I found a private sale only ten days ago after looking for three months, and now have Gwen, see Photos > solids.

As already said, have home checks done and in place with rescue centres gives you a head start.

Many Tears and other centres seem to have a lot of four and five year old dogs and bitches regularly... but these are often puppy farm ex breeders and stud dogs, and are not "humanised" or house trained ect... my worry also is that medical problems may develop in the ex "pregnant until sterile" females in the future, and that the stud dogs may have behavioural problems as caged until covering the females.

Regards... Alan.
Bina's Lottie

At The Rainbow Bridge

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
So sorry for the  sad loss of your boy Elliot.
We adopted  a puppy farm rescue
bitch  from Many Tears over 7 years ago.
Holly has been a most loving and fit little girl considing
the start she had, she must be now over 12.years old
and still fit and well. Wishing you lots of luck in your search
a very luckly dog is going to get a wonderful home with you.
best of luck
Val
slave to Holly & Honey

Offline Lacie_B

• Donator
  • Bina's Lacie
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 03:39:11 PM »
I was in no way slating Many Tears or other centres Val... it is fortunate that these rescue centres exist, but perhaps breeding methods were not so intensive seven years ago as they seem to be today, there being so much money to be made by unscrupulous puppy farms.... four years old seems a young  age for a breeding bitch to become sterile ?

I am not trying to put anyone off, rather trying to make folks aware of the situation,  and am grateful that you have offered a positive post to balance my seemingly negative opinion...

Best regards... Alan.
Bina's Lottie

At The Rainbow Bridge

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 04:36:29 PM »
Thats Ok Alan, I know you were not,
just wanted to say that, what a joy Holly has brought us
It is heartbreaking to see how these poor dogs are illtreated just for money.
sadly thats seems to be life.thank goodness for the many rescues who save them.
glad to say my Holly has seen the other side of life now  :luv: and lots
 :bigarmhug:
Regards ..Val

Offline Iain

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 05:01:23 PM »
Thank you all very much for your kind thoughts and direction. We are registered at many of the centres suggested and have had a home check completed satisfactorily. I will of course check in with the guys in Somerset. Distance really isn't an issue, its just about matching the circumstances of the dog and ourselves.
All the best

Iain 

Offline Dinah

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:21:37 PM »
Hope you find your new cocker soon Ian. :blink:  Wish more people would consider a rescue dog.

Don't assume that ex pf dogs end up in rescue because they are 'sterile'. I've fostered ex-breeders whose tummies are almost down to the ground and it's obvious they've not long had a litter.   Also, stud dogs do make loving pets.  I've fostered male and female pf cockers and they now lead happy lives. :blink:  Important thing is to establish that they've been examined by a vet  - and a reputable Rescue will note any health issues.  After all, they don't want a dog returned.  Also the dogs will be neutered.  Clearly, nobody can guarantee that health issues will never occur, but you'd take that chance wherever your dog came from.

Good luck in your search. :blink:

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 08:58:52 AM »
Is Fletch at Dogs Trust Leeds what you are looking for?
http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dog/1116149/fletch#.UzPnGWtYCK0
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 09:43:30 AM »
What a beautiful looking boy  :luv: :luv: he sounds like the perfect candiate  ;) :D
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Dinah

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 09:50:43 AM »
 :D  Yes, Fletch is a handsome cocker.  Have to say one of mine doesn't fit with the 'very clever' tag 'though. ;)

Offline Iain

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 09:57:33 AM »
Dinah thanks for your note and I do get it. We are in a position to spend a lot of time with a dog and are pretty open with what we will end up with. The starting point for us is confidence and character.

Max thanks so much for the spot on Fletch, he absolutely fits with what we are looking for. However, we are meeting up with a dog tomorrow, incidentally mentioned on this board. If he doesn't take to us then I'll certainly follow up on Fletch.
Thanks again Iain

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 04:14:43 PM »
Fletch is showing as reserved already, and I was going to have a sit down and chat about him when my wife comes home from work.

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 05:50:46 PM »
How about Bentley?  Pro Dogs Direct, fostered Luton.
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=110544.0

However I suspect he's a show rather than working type...