Author Topic: Were Looking For A Cocker  (Read 2601 times)

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Were Looking For A Cocker
« on: November 09, 2005, 09:44:14 AM »
Hey guys, can you keep you eyes and ears peeled  :ph34r:

We're looking for a ickle english or working cocker, don't mind age or sex but Must be non-distructive and have plenty of energy.

I work 9-5 and home for dinners, but my parntner is never out for more than 4 hours a day. We have a average sized garden.

Keeping my eyes glued to the Dogpages Rescue Forums and have also been in touch with the regional Cocker Clubs and have had no Joy.

Dont mind Travelling for the right dog. Were in Leeds.

Thanks All

Jim
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 09:51:22 AM »
many tears have a couple and i know there is a worker on dogpages.i have tried many tears but can't get them to answer the phone.they must be so busy,they need more recognition for what they do.as do all rescues

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 10:09:21 AM »
Have you got the link for the working cocker ? Cant find him/her.

I know trying to find a cocker is going to be hard work but our hearts are set on it.
My partner wouldnt have a puppy cos she has always had rescue dogs, I`ve wanted another cocker since my little boy passed away a few years ago but he was with my parents. Now got the room for pooch and were settled in.  :rolleyes:
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 11:22:11 AM »
I *think* the working cocker on dp has been rehomed.

You're best bet is to ring all the cocker rescues, so they have your details should one come in.  Many Tears in Wales get a few in and it is worth keeping an eye out on their website.

Good luck in your search.  You might have a wait, but the rewards will be tenfold.  :D  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 11:23:23 AM »
you wouldn't go for a 'sprollie' would you??? there is a lovely one 'rocky' on dogpages that would be a bit of work but worthwhile!

'seapigeon' on dog pages had a glut of springers recently so you could approach her as well....

...also, it's worth checking out the irish dog rescue pages as it's not insurmountable to rescue an irish dog  (although there are thousands in the uk as well that need love...)

good luck!  once jarvis is a bit older and OH can't bear the constant 'i want a rescue dog' whine, i'm heading down the rescue dog path as well!

helen & jarvis x

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 01:29:40 PM »
sorry the working cocker must have been rehomed but there is a gorgeous little 8 month springer bitch.they say she is small for a springer and she does need to be trained.they will rehome in the north yorkshire area.a donation is required and she is being spayed.if interested look on dp under dogs looking for homes north.
good luck

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 02:45:56 PM »
Have you looked at the Scottish Cockers for rescue, there is a thread in this section.

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 03:20:10 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replys :D  Would love a springer but i would be concerned our fence would not be upto the job  :lol: Dont think its high enough !!

We could be very interested in the Blue roan 5 yr old dog, but was going to give it a few day before I got in contact, its about 7 hour drive from our house. Long way to meet a doggy that might not like us  :unsure:

I`m undertaking the building of a new securer gate this weekend and making sure there are no escape points  :ph34r:
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 03:40:52 PM »
if you are worried a springer would escape over the fence then i wouldn't get a working cocker.i have a 6 month cocker who is from both working and show stock,he is a pain in the a..e :D  when it comes to jumping.we have 6'fences all round our garden and thats all that stops him escaping.he has jumped into a cupboard that is over three feet off the floor and he's always jumping onto the kitchen sides.i think this is pretty typical of working cocker behaviour.like i said a pain but we love him :lol:
good luck with your search.i hope you find a friend soon

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 03:52:29 PM »
Fanks Lynpate, never had a problem with our old cockers but they were show dogs, will bear that in mind. Got 6 Foot on two sides and (I Think 4.5) on other side. Will check tonight.

:D
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline Spanielsmum

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 06:00:33 PM »
if you are worried a springer would escape over the fence then i wouldn't get a working cocker.i have a 6 month cocker who is from both working and show stock,he is a pain in the a..e :D  when it comes to jumping.we have 6'fences all round our garden and thats all that stops him escaping.he has jumped into a cupboard that is over three feet off the floor and he's always jumping onto the kitchen sides.i think this is pretty typical of working cocker behaviour.like i said a pain but we love him :lol:
good luck with your search.i hope you find a friend soon
[snapback]158835[/snapback]
Our cocker is a much better jumper than my springer!! He is often up on my Welsh Dresser, pinching tissue boxes usually :lol:  I think if you go on www.itsaspringthing.co.uk there was a 7month cocker(orange roan)? and a young springer looking for a home quite recently.  He's in the springer chat section, under the heading "springer returnee, and his little friend Harvey" or something like that. Good Luck in your search. I'm also in Leeds so we might bump into each when we're dog walking. :D

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 06:40:52 PM »
Hi Glynis T,

Thanks for that !! Have just Emailed her and will call tomorrow if I dont hear anything.

He is adorable !!  :wub:  :wub:
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 08:16:32 PM »
Hi Glynis,

Thanks for your help but it looks like hes already got a new home!  :(

still looking.....

Kate (james's partner) :)
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline Spanielsmum

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 09:57:30 PM »
:( I'll keep my eyes peeled for you....I was offered a 3/4 choc lab/one 1/4 German shorthaired pointer last week. He's called Jasper and about 8 months old and in Yorkshire I believe, or are you desperate for a cocker?

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 10:42:14 PM »
Sorry we are really after a cocker, we both had them as family pets when we were younger and feel they are the right breed for us.

Thanks for all your help, just got 2 play the waiting game now

Kate  :P
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue