Author Topic: Finn- 1yr old working cocker with The Spaniel Trust  (Read 12376 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Finn- 1yr old working cocker with The Spaniel Trust
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2008, 06:04:27 PM »
Dogs like this are not for everyone and I'm sure you and the rescue will do what is right for this lovely boy and for you. Living with a reactive dog can be hard and is not for the inexperienced or faint hearted.
I have two that might have been PTS for various issues but two more lovely dogs you could not wish to meet.
Both of them were misunderstood, one was mistreated but both are flourishishing in the right environment.
If Finn is not the right dog for you then don't worry as the right one will come along sooner or later.
I really do wish you the best of luck in this and hope it all works out for everyone involved.
Do we know how hard he bit and under what circumstances?

Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2008, 06:08:26 PM »
Honestly, if you are having to ask yourself questions and agree with what the homechecker says, then Finn may not be the dog for you  :-\ You need to know the worst case scenario and decide whether you can deal with it, the last thing anyone wants is for a homeless dog to continue to be moved around, that applies equally to the upset you would feel.

Really sorry it's not sounding as promising as you hoped, don't give up yet though, pm Jo and talk to her about what has been said perhaps

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »
Having a dog with issues is not impossible and can but work out really well, BUT I guess the thing is it can take a lot of time and money and love to get things working, oh yes did I forget to mention the endless patience when you work sooooo hard and you think you have had a breakthrough and then your dog does something like snarl at a child who walks by and you feel like you are back to square one again! >:D

Like others have said some people can do this and some can not.  Its not a critism, it can be soul destroying at times so I do understand why some people choose to walk away from a dog if they are struggling.  But I guess a dog like Finn who has alredy been to different homes dosn't need another place that will not work out he needs a forever home, so everone involved will have to be very clear about his new hom and its suitability.

To be very honest with you, sometimes I wish for a laid back happy cocker, I think our experience would have been very different if thats what we had got, but Ben is not like that and I know we will always have to think carefully about how we are with him, but I would not swop him for the world.  Spending so much time working with him and seeing him progress has built the most amazing bond and he is my world :luv:

I guess only you know what you want from a dog.  A dog like Finn will probably not be an easy going family dog for a very long time and who could blame you if thats what you want - given the choice wouldn't we all want that?  
but you know if you have the time and energy to invest in Finn, and being completely mercenery the money.  We have spent quite a bit on 1-1 training, behaviourists etc and consider it well spent, but not everyone has that option or wants to do that.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  Don't give up if he is what you really want, but do go into this with your eyes open and understand the work involved.

Bens mum

forgot to add - Finn is scrummy and I wish he could come here....but two boys with issues may just be a recipe for disaster :005:

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2008, 11:45:46 PM »
Having a dog with issues is not impossible and can but work out really well, BUT I guess the thing is it can take a lot of time and money and love to get things working, oh yes did I forget to mention the endless patience when you work sooooo hard and you think you have had a breakthrough and then your dog does something and you feel like you are back to square one again! >:D
I totally agree with everything Ben's mum has said. I have a dog with lots of problems. We have spent a fortune seeking help for him. But he has cost us a lot more in terms of time, patience and tears.  :'( I have had several people tell me over the last couple of years that I should 'get rid of him', but I love him and we'll continue to try to do our best for him.  :luv:

I don't know you or Finn so I cannot comment on whether you are right for each other.  :-\ I do, however, know the homechecker and I know she will be totally honest with you and that ultimately she will have Finn's best interests at heart. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.

Offline harrison

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2008, 06:41:29 PM »
hi just to bring you all up to date finn will not be coming home to me. after lots of talking both sides agree it would not be in his best intrests mainly as i have grandchildren visting most weekends. so thats that for me but for finn the hunt goes on. good luck finn i`m sure you will make it in the end. thanks to you all for your support. peter

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2008, 06:52:17 PM »
Sorry to hear this Peter but it is the right decision I am sure  :-\  The right dog is out there waiting - hope you find each other soon.  ;)

And hopefully the right home will come up for Finn soon too - is it a bit too soon for TopBarks to take on another?  :shades: :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline GinnyB

• Mali, my gorgeous golden girl
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2008, 07:12:32 PM »
sorry to hear things didn't work out but I'm sure it won't be long before the right dog comes along for you.

I hope Finn finds the right home for him very soon.
Elsie my beautiful bluey

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2008, 08:52:30 AM »
hi just to bring you all up to date finn will not be coming home to me. after lots of talking both sides agree it would not be in his best intrests mainly as i have grandchildren visting most weekends. so thats that for me but for finn the hunt goes on. good luck finn i`m sure you will make it in the end. thanks to you all for your support. peter

Sorry to hear this Peter.  I am sure the right dog is out there for you.

Fingers crossed that Finn finds the forever home he needs soon.
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2008, 10:21:04 AM »
Sorry to hear this Peter but it is the right decision I am sure  :-\  The right dog is out there waiting - hope you find each other soon.  ;)

And hopefully the right home will come up for Finn soon too - is it a bit too soon for TopBarks to take on another?  :shades: :005:

Afraid I have my hands full at the mo. :005:

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline PennyB

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2008, 12:41:14 PM »
I just need to reiterate that at the end of the day its up to anyone who is interested to find out more details from the rescue concerned rather than get into wholesale discussions on here as Joanne says its 'so easy to misinterpret things on forums'.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline harrison

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2008, 02:59:09 PM »
penny b not sure what you are trying to say here could you be clearer. peter

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2008, 07:04:34 PM »
I am sorry to hear this Peter but, I am sure your new cocker is out there waiting for it's new loving forever home.

Good luck to the very lovely Finn in finding his forever home soon, hopefully it won't be too long.

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2008, 07:59:43 PM »
penny b not sure what you are trying to say here could you be clearer. peter

It was basically a general comment not aimed at anyone as I often have to remind people to discuss things with the rescue themselves rather than turning this part of the forum into a discussion one. I appreciate rehoming dogs is very fraught with emotion and expectation but it doesn't help distracting form the main emphasis of what this part of the forum is about.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline harrison

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2008, 08:48:26 PM »
thanks for replying. i personaly find it helps a lot to discusse thing outloud sometimes, like a bouncing board. which forums can do sometimes. take this one, i have found that peoples replys have been very supportive and helpfull. but i must agree with you things can and do get taken the wrong way. peter

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2008, 09:49:35 PM »
Finn is still looking for his new home. He is offering to give lots of paws and gentle licks to anyone who wants him....

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.