Author Topic: Not himself - 2weeks on page 19  (Read 12484 times)

Offline Chocolate Hero

Not himself - 2weeks on page 19
« on: January 25, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »
I thought Jethro was just feeling sorry for himself, but he's really under the weather now. He's not eating his food and is barley drinking. he has been eating the scrambled egg and cottage cheese I've been giving him for tea, to get something into him. He's a bit runny nosed and is still playing in small amounts.

Could it be just a cold? &do i need to worry and take him to the vets? Also how can i get more fluids down him?
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: Not himself
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 10:53:55 AM »
I thought Jethro was just feeling sorry for himself, but he's really under the weather now. He's not eating his food and is barley drinking. he has been eating the scrambled egg and cottage cheese I've been giving him for tea, to get something into him. He's a bit runny nosed and is still playing in small amounts.

Could it be just a cold? &do i need to worry and take him to the vets? Also how can i get more fluids down him?

Aww poor Jethro, I would take him to the vet to be on the safe side.
Let us know how he goes.

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
thanks jane, going to try getting some fluids in him and see if they have an appointment, got a feeling it will be monday with there opening hours.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 11:22:09 AM »
thanks jane, going to try getting some fluids in him and see if they have an appointment, got a feeling it will be monday with there opening hours.

Could you maybe even try some goat milk, might tempt him more than water.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 11:44:43 AM »
Has he pooped anything describable?  After my nasty experience Rouge Coco's double whammy, if there is any bright red blood, get  to the vet same day.
I wouldn't worry too much about food if he doesn't want it, but another tip for fluids is to use a large syringe, and squirt into the back corner of the jaw.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 11:48:46 AM »
Poor Jethro.  :luv: i would call the vet and try to get an appointment as he's not drinking. You could boil up some chicken and offer him the stock from that. It might tempt him more than plain water. Hope he is feeling better soon.

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »
I would take him to the Vets, certainly if it's been more than a day or so. Sounds like he could be running a temperature which can affect their appetite and enegy. Best to have it checked out.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 12:34:25 PM »
Sorry to read Jethro is not well, would agree with the others re the vet. Also you could try boiling some white fish and tempting him with the stock. a vet advised me some years ago to dissolve a little bit of sugar in some boiling water and cooled down.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline williamsmum

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 12:40:13 PM »
Definitely the vet if you are at all concerned about it. I wouldn't worry too much if he is just off his food, but water is vital and it is concerning that he is not drinking either. Good luck.

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 01:29:23 PM »
he's normally drinks about a bowl a day. He's had a cats bowl worth today of milk. Was just wondering if a syringe or sports bottle might get some down him. He's poo's seem fairly normal if not a little on the loose side. Was thinking of getting him some raw feed to try and tempt him. just trying stock down him & while Simon sees if vets can squeeze him in today.

Thanks for the tips. (stocks getting a few licks down)

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »
ice cubes not having much interest shown. Got an appointment for 2.50. although the monkeys decided to have a few licks just to be awkward.

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 03:14:48 PM »
Sat waiting in vets for bloods to come back. He's not dehydrated but is very anemic with a bit of a temperature, vets quiet concerned. Not been given any indication of what's up yet.

Offline helen1

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 03:22:08 PM »
oh dear, hope your wee fella is better soon. Sending positive thoughts :D
Loves my family and dog Bailey more than life its self

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »
He's having to go for a blood transfusion today, it could be a condition or a bone marrow problem. Worrid sick.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 03:44:35 PM »
He's having to go for a blood transfusion today, it could be a condition or a bone marrow problem. Worrid sick.

OMG!  You'll have to keep us up to date when you hear. Poor Jethro, at least he's in the right place.  :bigarmhug: for you.

I bumped into Mel and Miya today and we were just talking about Jethro and how small he was when we first saw him  :luv:
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)