Author Topic: Ears  (Read 1352 times)

jools

Ears
« on: July 25, 2005, 09:00:23 AM »
Bramble is 6 months old now. Her ears have been checked by the vet during a routine check up a couple of months ago.
The thing is, I'm worried about the build up of wax in her ears.

I clean them every day...and there is always loads of it.

I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing by cleaning them daily, or if I'm adding to the problem.

Her ears sounf a little squelchy...due, I think, to the fact that there's ear cleaner in them.

She does not have a problem with her ears in as much as she doesn't scratch them, shake her head, and they don't smell (suggesting no infection).

What do you all think?

Julie

Offline munchkin

• Site Member
Ears
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 10:06:29 AM »
we had a problem with Annie's ears, she did have an infection to begin with but also they were very dirty, with lots of wax (she is an ex breeding bitch) we did clean them daily but now only once every two weeks or so.

I would check with the vet ( perhaps you could speak over the phone )and they will be able to advise you

Our vet said that some dogs do produce more wax than others, so will need to be check more regularly.

good luck  :)

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Ears
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 10:19:56 AM »
We use Leo ear cleaner which works really well.  Which ear cleaner are you ucing? :)

Offline Emily

• Site Member
  • Crystal <3
    • http://www.molkara-cockerspaniels.piczo.com
Ears
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 12:14:24 PM »
we use thornit that also work really well we but it in about once every 2 weeks :)

jools

Ears
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 02:07:41 PM »
We use Leo ear cleaner which works really well.  Which ear cleaner are you ucing? :)
[snapback]138084[/snapback]

We're using Epi Otic..got it from Vet.

Our other dog, Millie, has a really narrow ear canal, and is prone to infections. We always have Canaural in the house. I wonder if this is bog standard ear drops.If so, should we use them on Bramble?

I really do thing that I'm causing a probmlem that wasn't even there. By cleaning her ears daily, there is a build up of cleaner right in her ear.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Ears
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »
I really do thing that I'm causing a probmlem that wasn't even there. By cleaning her ears daily, there is a build up of cleaner right in her ear.
[snapback]138112[/snapback]
Sounds like you are slightly over-doing the ear cleaning ;) Some dogs do naturally produce more wax than others but that is normal for them & doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. Have you tried using Thornit ear powder instead of the liquid cleaner (details in the first pinned post on this board). Like Emily says, a pinch of Thornit every now & then is often very effective at keeping ears clean & the wax under control.

Jane
Jane

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Ears
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 06:17:02 PM »
Can recommend thornit  ;) - you can buy it here:

Thornit

xxxxxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

jools

Ears
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 06:29:11 PM »
Thank you all. I'll use the link and order Thornit.

Julie