Author Topic: Arrrrgh!  (Read 1341 times)

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Arrrrgh!
« on: August 11, 2005, 07:04:35 PM »
Sophie has been licking one of her front paws for a few days now and I have just checked it and she has got a bald patch that resembles chicken skin - like a chickens scaly foot.  :huh:

Also, she was sitting on our cream settee while I was checking this and there was a tiny little yellowy/orange beastie like a very fast moving tick running about on the arm of the chair where her paw had been!!!!

Are the two connected - does she have some sort of mite or something, or could it just be coincidence as she is just in from a long walk in the woods.  :huh:

She is on Frontline Combo and is not due another dose yet.

Help!!!!  :unsure:

Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Arrrrgh!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 07:13:06 PM »
Sounds like berry bugs  ;)

There is a solution you can buy from the chemist which I can't remember the name of (I've got it written down somewhere, I'll hunt it out) :ph34r:. You can also use Frontline spray on the affected areas or wash the feet with Seleen shampoo
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Arrrrgh!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 07:15:12 PM »
Thanks Gill!  I feel sick as I thought by using Frontline Combo I would eradicate all creepy crawly things!!

I found this on the web;

MITES  

The only mites large enough to be readily seen are harvest mites of the genus Trombicula, which appear as little orange specks in some localities.  These cause irritation and inflammation around the feet of dogs that spend a lot of time on farmers’ fields in summer.  Medicated baths are needed.  Other mites are too small to see without magnification.

Sounds pretty similar to me......

I am itching all over now!!!   :blink:
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Arrrrgh!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 07:28:08 PM »
Touch wood, none of mine have ever had it but we have had a hell of a lot fo dogs in with them over the past few weeks.  I think the solution was Benzyl something-or-other. I'm sure the chemist will know  :blink:  :lol:  Hope you get rid of them quickly - poor girlie, having beasties living in your tootsies :ph34r:  :P

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Arrrrgh!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 07:30:40 PM »
I know - to follow on from her sore conjunctavitis eyes last week, and being speyed a few weeks before that!  :(

Poor Sophie will be regretting the day she came to live with me!!!  :P    

Done a bit more research and it does sound like Harvest Mites - but haven't found anything to say if I need to gut my house now?!!
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Arrrrgh!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 07:41:47 PM »
Done a bit more research and it does sound like Harvest Mites - but haven't found anything to say if I need to gut my house now?!!
[snapback]140469[/snapback]

Our vets just advise a thorough hoovering ;)

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Arrrrgh!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 07:57:08 PM »
Good - well that gets done every day in here anyway just cos I live with Sophie, Cheeko the fluffy cat and Paul the mess monster!!  :P

But I will get some shampoo for Sophie tomorrow.

Poor soul only got a bath the other day after getting soaked whilst up the hills, so she will love me for putting her in another bath...........which she loathes!!  B)
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Arrrrgh!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 10:47:14 PM »
I use Benzyl Benzoate for harvest mites - dilute in a little water, then dip the feet in & soak for a short while :) It's used for scabies in humans & most chemists have the solution in stock (just be prepared for funny looks from other customers :lol:) You might want to do a skin test first just in case there's a reaction, though I've never had any problems with our dogs.

Jane
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Arrrrgh!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 10:51:25 PM »
Buttons has had it, its a nightmare!!! make sure you check the ends of the ear flaps and also around the nose  ;) Benxyl Benzoate does the trick though  :)

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Arrrrgh!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 03:01:03 PM »
If I did find them round her nose (which I haven't yet.....but she has a black face so it is quite hard to see!!) would I just use the same solution on a bit of cotton wool since I cannot "dip" her face in the solution?!!  :D

Also, how often do I need to use the solution on her feet?  :huh:
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Arrrrgh!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 05:54:30 PM »
Yes use a pad of cotton wool dipped in the solution to wipe around the nose etc. Benzyl Benzoate works pretty quickly - I would perhaps use it for 2 or 3 days & see what happens. Of course, Sophie could get re-infected again if you walk her through fields etc so you'll have to watch out for that ;) I've found Frontline spray effective at preventing further infestations but don't think the spot-on treatments are quite as good for mites.

Jane

Jane