Author Topic: Kidney failure 12 year old  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Suzisooz

Kidney failure 12 year old
« on: January 29, 2020, 03:34:38 PM »
Hi all, it has been a while since I was last asking for advice.  When Reggie was 6, he had a horrid reaction after digging up some onions and started to reject his red blood cells.  Luckily, we have a fantastic vet who instantly recognised the symptoms and it seemed that Reg made a full recovery.  Now age 12 (13 in October) sadly, over Christmas, he started to lose weight, balance and bladder control.  Tests have revealed an issue with his pancreas and more significantly, his kidney function is poor.  His blood pressure was also at the highest reading.  He is now on Benazecare for this which is ridiculously expensive, so I am hoping to get a prescription to make it more affordable. 

But the biggest issue is food.  He had an allergic reaction to the Royal Canin Renal, so they gave us the hyper allergenic.  But he will not touch it. Went three full days without eating a single thing after we gradually phased out his other food. So then we tried everything we could think of to make it more palatable.  I have sent my husband off miles away to try and get hold of some Nutriment low purine and phosphorous after reading a previous thread. But on the phone earlier, vet did say raw was absolutely not an option due to the protein content.

After losing our last cocker at 5 after a random back injury, my husband and I are in conflict.  We spent thousands and put that cocker through awful unsuccessful operations (different vet), and I do not want this gorgeous lovely family member to suffer.  If the Nutriment is not helpful, I would think we should let the poor love enjoy his time.  He is so sad and depressed, and losing weight rapidly as food is his most favourite thing in the world.  What I am asking is, what experience do others have with chronic kidney failure.  The vet thinks that his kidneys and body went through so much at 6 years, that he has been lucky to stay well so long.   I can't stand seeing him so sad.  The blood pressure medication has picked him up.  But the main issue is food.  If he continues to lose weight he won't have the strength to carry on anyway, so should I just fed him his favourite things?  And how long before I can expect a decline.  At the moment, the levels are not severe, just mild to medium stage.  We are seeing the vet tomorrow evening to check blood pressure and talk through care.  He is like a child to us. Help!  (His is also very deaf and partially sighted now, so very insecure out of the house)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Kidney failure 12 year old
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 06:46:42 PM »
Sorry to read about Reggie, I don't have experience of kidney failure in older dogs but may well find myself in your position at some point. Our Harry was very ill at around 6 with kidney problems after eating something out walking the vet thinks probably mushrooms. I have been warned that as he ages we may see some effects and he will be 11 in a few weeks.

I am with you in thinking quality of life is more important that keeping them going at any cost. By that I don't just mean financial. I would be letting him eat what he wants just to see him enjoying his food as at that age pleasures are few. However I know my husband would view things differently as well, when our last cocker was elderly he kept him going longer than I would have, he wasn't in pain so there was no iminant need to make 'the decision', but he took every medical option going.

Sorry to waffle on, there isn't really a clear cut answer is there, its such a sad time when they are struggling with health but ultimately I suppose my feeling would always be to make sure they have the best life possible and if that means not sticking to the prescribed diet then so be it. Thinking of you and Reggie whatever you decide xx

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 06:49:55 PM »
I am so sorry to read your thread.

I have no knowledge, but would just like to pass on my best wishes for you all, and hope that something can be found to help him.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Suzisooz

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 11:28:26 AM »
Thank you both for your kind comments.

He absolutely loved the Nutriment.  The smell might take some getting used to though!  His tummy seems ok which is a relief as he hasn't eaten much for over a week. Just have to see now how his skin reacts - or not hopefully.  Hoping the vet isn't negative about the food later, as it was just lovely to see him eat and we have managed a walk today as he has more energy.  Fingers crossed.

Would be great to hear from someone who has been through this, to know what we are facing really and what has worked for others.  His allergies are such a pain, as we aren't just dealing with him not liking the special food.  He actually didn't mind the first lot of Royal Canin renal, but his skin reaction to it was horrendous.  And then he went on hunger strike with the hyperallergenic stuff.  Nightmare.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 09:13:32 PM »
I was very hesitant about speaking on this thread,  as I lost Bobby to protein losing nephropathy. He was 8, and the condition was noticed only three months before he passed away, which was really awful. This is a kidney problem affecting the filtering of protein into the urine.   Please don’t read any more if this is upsetting, but you did ask.

I never saw the same vet at the practice and they didn’t connect the symptoms that I was worried about. I took him first for coughing up bile at night,  so I had to give him a night snack. ,Then I took him because his breath stank and his glossy coat  was poor. I was ordered to bring him for a dental, for infected teeth.  When I took him in,he had a routine pre-op blood test which screamed at them to pay attention. His teeth were perfect!   They checked the urea in his wee,  and took it seriously.  He was put on a drip to flush his kidneys but he kept pulling it out.   The thing could have worked was dialysis and it’s not done.  I had tablets and a bland diet which he loathed. I was warned it could be weeks or years.   We lived every day to the full, and two days before he’d had enough,  we drove 70  miles to the coast to give him a day of fun on the beach, I’m welling up now thinking of how happy he looked.  I gave him his favourite food when it was obvious he was fading.   My heart was totally broken.
There are various other kidney problems, which, caught in time can be controlled with drugs and diet.  I truly hope that you are one of the lucky ones,  and  have more time to share fun and games.   Do not let your pet suffer.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 07:30:52 AM »
Sorry, I know you‘re actually looking for input from someone with experience of the condition which I haven‘t got, but I just wanted to pass on lots of positive thoughts and hope you can get some help for Reggie. Trying to make the „right“ decision is the hardest thing to work out, there are always so many „what if‘s“ and although the vets have the  medical knowledge, no one knows our dogs as we do ourselves. Follow your own instincts, whatever decision you make will be done with all your love for Reggie, (and he knows that), so that will be right one. Sending  :bigarmhug:, and good wishes that the time you have left together will be happy...... :luv:

Offline Suzisooz

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 12:18:17 AM »
Thanks all.  We tried everything.  Sadly, it’s our last night with Reggie.  What a terrible thing kidney disease is.  Far too fast and far too painful.  I can’t go through this again.  And am dreading the morning.  Night night little one 😢

Offline Biddy

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 10:14:07 AM »
Thinking of you and Reggie and sending you big hugs , I have no experience of this as Jake is our first dog but have been in similar position with our bunnies. So have a little idea of the pain you feel.
Take care love and hugs to you all  :bigarmhug:

Offline Suzisooz

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 02:07:32 PM »
🌈🐾💔

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 02:52:08 PM »
So sorry!
Run free at the bridge Reggie, out of pain now but knowing you were very much loved.. :luv:
Sending  :bigarmhug:

Offline Suzisooz

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 05:39:22 PM »
Hug your babies close. They are such characters and he was the craziest but they leave mighty hole behind. 💔💔💔

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 10:14:01 PM »
So sorry to read of your loss of Reggie, sending you  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 10:54:14 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :luv:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 08:56:26 AM »
So sorry, that is heartbreaking.  :'( :'(

Sleep tight Reggie  :luv: :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2020, 11:02:37 AM »
My heart hurts for you.  Can’t say more.
XxxxPatsy
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.