Author Topic: Phantom Pregnancy  (Read 1525 times)

Offline rubyduby

Phantom Pregnancy
« on: February 19, 2020, 07:07:57 PM »
Amber is 13 months and had her first season at Xmas at a yr old, since then noticed her mammaries are quite 'full' she is passing a tiny bit of milk(when squeezed) very whingey and clingy, also a nightmare to get to eat, very fussy and disinterested has been for 3-4 weeks...??

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Phantom Pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 11:27:38 PM »
Poor Amber!  I had a lab who had one after her first season. We felt so sad for her, specially when she kept making nests. 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 12:21:54 PM »
I've never had to deal with this problem,  but seem to remember reading that you reduce their food ( which doesn't sound like it would be a problem ) and give lots of exercise. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable  will give more advice!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 02:06:33 PM »
Never had to deal with it either. But increased excercise, both physical and mental, is the recommended treatment. Distract her with games and obedience training or nosework. There are medical treatments that the vet can give to stop lactation. It is important to not let the dog keep toys as "puppies" or lick their teats excessively as it will stimulate milk production. If it does not pass then veterinary treatment can be necessary in some cases. One also have to be aware that the risk for pyometra is higher in bitches with pseudopregnancies. Hopefully it will pass soon, I think it usually does, but I'm sure someone with experience will share theirs soon. And if in dubt, call vet for advise.

Offline Mina

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 03:19:12 PM »
Mine has had a few phantom pregnancies, each was worse than the previous one. It lasted about 3 weeks each time. She was quite miserable, most of the time hiding in whatever cupboard she could get into, and carrying toys around. The vet recommended egg white omelette with lots of fresh parsley as a treatment to stop the production of milk. It seemed to help and Mina loved it. 

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »
I will try but she really isn't eating much at all, extremely fussy

Offline Ladys tramp

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 10:03:07 PM »
Lady has a phantom pregnancy at the moment. Never had a problem with our other bitches (Alaskan malamutes)
 Behaviour wise she is no different. Still mad as a box of frogs. She is ten months old, had her first season at seven months. Took her to the vet they gave galastop 50 to stop the milk. Told us she could have them after every season and to be aware that if left untreated it could lead to mastitis.