Author Topic: Puppy Cramp!  (Read 1089 times)

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
Puppy Cramp!
« on: January 29, 2006, 01:09:09 PM »
Hi all,

Had a mini-panic with 8 mth old Max yesterday, which ended up with a dash to the emergency vet in the afternoon!...

Took him out for a lovely long walk/frolic in the fields in the morning - admittedly, it was a bit longer than usual, but he was full of energy the whole time & was even still pulling a bit when we got home! He played with lots of other dogs along the way but didn't have any rough play or falls/tumbles & certainly didn't seem to hurt himself or cry out at all or limp etc. - usual bounding along right up to the back door!

However, when we got him inside & dried him off, he'd usually go & curl up & have a much needed sleep for an hour or 2, but he seemed really unsettled & panicky & started whimpering & whining & constantly moving around to try to get comfy - he literally couldn't seem to stay still for longer than a few seconds & was trying to chew & bite at his back legs.

We started to really worry as it wasn't easing off & he refused a 'schmacko' which is unheard of & when he was attempting to settle down, his back legs seemed to be shaking & twitching beyond his control, plus when he was walking, he seemed to want to sit down all the time, as if his legs were giving way.

After much fretting on my part & hubby frantically ringing the various vets in the area (our was shut & no answer from the on-call one - great eh?!), we finally  managed to speak to an emergency vet nearby who told us to come straight in. By this point, he seemed slightly less stressed & managed to walk out to the car apparently normally & did appear to sleep a bit during the journey - much relief all round!

We were then stunned when we got to the vets,  cos the little blighter jumped out of the car (on his lead I hasten to add!) & pulled like mad to get in the door - ??!!  

The vet was brilliant & spent ages assessing him & doing all sorts of exercises with him etc & reckoned he'd most likely had cramp &/or pins & needles or maybe even pinched or pulled a nerve a bit - must have overdone it on his walk or just one of those things!?!

She gave him a painkiller/anti-inflammatory injection &  the obligatory thermometer up his bum, giving his anal glands a squeeze while she was there (?!) at which point he decided she was no longer his newest bestest friend! She then gave us some stuff to put in his drinking water to make sure his electrolytes were ok etc. (which he's had) & we left with a completely full of beans bouncing all over the place cocker, £105 worse off!!

We don't begrudge spending ANYTHING on him at all to make sure he's ok etc & would do it again in a second, but we WERE a bit miffed that they charged us almost £70 for the fact that it was 'out of hours' - 2.30pm on a Saturday afternoon?!?! Ah well!

Has anyone else heard of this or have any of your dogs experienced cramp before?! Just wondered if we should do anything to help avoid it in the future apart from take it easy on his walks etc? (She did say to give him short, on-lead walks for a few days & then build him up to his normal exercise)

He slept most of yesterday afternoon/evening & was absolutely full of life this morning but was seriously peeved when he only got a short, on-lead walk - pulled to go past the house when we got home & didn't want to come back in at all!! Bless!!

:rolleyes:

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Puppy Cramp!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 04:26:24 PM »
Ah poor Max.

Glad it was nothing serious and he is okay.

My two would just lie down mid walk if they had too much when they were pups and then we'd have to carry them back!!!!! :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Shame you had to spend so much moeny, but always better to be safe than sorry.....are you insured?? You'll be able to claim it back I'm sure. I have another bank account purely for the dogs, I always keep it topped up because you can go months without seeing a vet and then be in there ever other week. I find it makes it easier when I have to pay out I know that that is dog money I am spending. So long as my pooches are okay I can go without the new shoes every week!!!!!! I have insurance as well as the bank account :)

Never knew puppies could get cramp, but it makes sense.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Puppy Cramp!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 04:32:45 PM »
My Buddy has done this on a few occasions - long before he had his back trouble. He would suddenly howl and not be able to walk and looked very sorry for himself. Within a couple of hours he would be back to normal.

Sound's like your vet saw you coming though on the charging and treatment front.  ;)

If you don't already have insurance - get it now! Then should you need urgent tretament again it won't hurt quite so much ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
Puppy Cramp!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 05:24:20 PM »
Thanks guys!

He IS insured & hopefully we may be able to claim some of it back. Money is not really an issue though - we'd gladly spend it to make sure he's ok - we both worry about every little thing!! We were  just a bit surprised at the 'out of hours' part of the bill!!

He's completely back to normal today, having slept most of yesterday afternoon/evening. He's NOT impressed at the short, lead walks though!!

I think if he shows signs of it again, we'll try massaging his legs a bit & getting him to drink plenty & see if it passes after a bit.

God, it's so horrible seeing them obviously not feeling right & not knowing what's wrong or how to help them isn't it? I was beside myself yesterday - thank god hubby is calm & in control!!

:)
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Puppy Cramp!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 06:11:14 PM »
The out of hours thing is very common. If you develop a good relationship with your vet then you find things like this don't necessarily appear.

Our vet tends to be flexible depending on the situation. For what you experienced I would expect to pay it - but for example we had to take our Bunny back for the final journey only an hour after having just left the vets. We should have been charged £60 out of hours but weren't - but then it was the final journey :( .
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Puppy Cramp!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 07:51:36 PM »
Glad to hear Max is feeling better.... :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jessie

• Site Member
Puppy Cramp!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 10:17:56 PM »
We think Jessie gets this.  She does not yelp or anything, but sometimes when she has been asleep, she hobbles on her back leg.  If we give it a good rub - like you would to someone with cramp - it gets better straight away.