Author Topic: Scared we are going to lose our girl.  (Read 23364 times)

Offline LindyLou

Scared we are going to lose our girl.
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:19:27 PM »
Hi everyone,

Haven't been here for a while, but just needed to speak to people who will understand! Sorry if I ramble on here!

I have been to the vet's with Cleo today, (our 12 year old orange roan girl). I took her as she had been off her food, had vomitted twice in the last week, seemed sluggish and just out of sorts. She wouldn't eat her normal food, so had fed her boiled chicken and rice. She had perked up a bit on Friday, enjoyed her walk and  her fish dinner, but yesterday was looking very sad and this morning wouldn't eat a thing...... and Cleo loves her grub! The vet gave her a shot for sickness and antibiotics and asked me to bring her back tomorrow. I was a little perturbed as she had been like this since Wednesday and mentioned that we had lost our boy Biff only February this year, and she was showing the same signs that he had. So we agreed to run her bloods today just to be safe!

Fifteen minutes after i got home he called me. He told me to bring her straight back as she has a kidney problem!!!

He has put her on a drip immediately.I discussed with him the treatment and prognosis and when I could collect her. This is just so sudden! I just handed her over and she looked at me like "don't leave me!" I couldn't help myself and just  started to cry! My little lady is so timid and loving I just didn't want to leave her.

i then asked if someone would be there all night , and they told me "no". Is this normal? Anyway, after much discussion, he assured me it would make no difference if I came for her at 7pm and brought her back in the morning! i harped on about what is best for her and he has guaranteed me this arrangement is fine???????

Since coming home I have done some research and it's not good is it? Kidney failure seems to be irreversible and can cause pain and suffering as they deteriorate.

I am a blubbering wreck and can't stand the thought of losing her, particularly after losing Biff this year too!

Please cross all your fingers and toes that they tell me the drip has helped and we can put her on a special diet and treat her with whatever drugs she may need.

Thank you all for listening!
Linda & Baxter

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
Re: Scared we are going to lose our girl.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 03:27:35 PM »
bless you Linda  :luv:

thinking of you both  :luv:  :luv:

they hold such a special place in our hearts it is so sad when they are not well

xxxx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
Am so sorry to hear your news, its frightening when they're not well.  Try to be positive, she's in the best place, also sometimes kidney problems can be managed through food.  I will keep everything crossed for you.
Karen
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 03:30:24 PM »
So sorry to hear this... no advice other than i hope someone else has a positive experience for you to share. Thinking of you (and stay away from googling stuff... you always see worst case senarios which can scare the hell out of you!) xxx

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 03:33:19 PM »
So sorry to hear this... no advice other than i hope someone else has a positive experience for you to share. Thinking of you (and stay away from googling stuff... you always see worst case senarios which can scare the hell out of you!) xxx

Ditto, wait to see what the vet says and make any decisions when you have to, thinking of you  :-*

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 03:36:44 PM »
No advice from here but {{Hugs}}  :luv: :-* to you

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 03:38:41 PM »
No advice but thinking of you both  :luv:

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 03:42:40 PM »
I'm so sorry. Thinking of you and Cleo  :luv:

Offline Roslyn McConnell

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 03:50:48 PM »
I really really feel for you. Im holding back the tears just reading that as I know exactly how you are feeling right now.

All you can do is make her comfortable and give her lots of extra hugs.

With Dillan I left him at the vets fully intending to pick him up again in two days time, he never made it and I still feel guilty for not saying a proper goodbye to him. I know it's really hard for you right now and I'm sure she will be fine, but say everything you want to......just incase, cause you don't want to end up like me and regrett not doing it.

xxx

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 03:51:54 PM »
Sending healing positive thoughts for Cleo  :luv:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 03:55:12 PM »
Hope she is ok and hme with you soon  :luv:

Lots of positive thoughts from here  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »
All fingers, paws and toes crossed for you
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline beebee

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »
So sorry, you must be very worried, thinking of you both :luv:

Offline cupcakebarb

• Site Member
  • Oscar my baby boy n Bramble my baby girl
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 04:54:50 PM »
sending hugs and luvs and hope everything is ok  :luv:

Offline LindyLou

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 04:59:28 PM »
Thank you all! I knew I could count on you to truly understand.

With Dillan I left him at the vets fully intending to pick him up again in two days time, he never made it and I still feel guilty for not saying a proper goodbye to him. I know it's really hard for you right now and I'm sure she will be fine, but say everything you want to......just incase, cause you don't want to end up like me and regrett not doing it.

xxx

It's still so vivid in my mind when we were at the vets with Biff in February! We managed to be there with him at the end and spoke to him and cuddled him, so he knew we were there- both me and my OH just sobbing! The thought of doing it again so soon is unbearable, but I will make sure I am with her!

However, you're so right! I must be positive and stop googling! No-one has told me yet that she is not going to make it! My little darling won't give up without a fight!

Thank you for your positive thoughts and support.
I know you all love your cockers as I do, and that helps! To know you understand what it feels like to think we may be losing our beautiful loyal friends is so difficult and it simply breaks our hearts.

I can get her in a couple of hours and will keep you updated on her progress!
Linda
Linda & Baxter