Author Topic: Alfies Tumour  (Read 853 times)

Offline NicolaJane

Alfies Tumour
« on: July 01, 2010, 10:22:43 AM »
Can anyone help - my 10 year old cocker spaniel Alfie was diagnosed with a nasal tumour last year, which apparently is inoperable due to where it is located, Alfie is having nose bleeds intermittently - once the bleed is over he seems to perk up, sadly today he is on day 3 of a nose bleed and showing no signs of improving, he's been to the vets and they say apart from placing another camera up his nose to see how advanced the tumour is they cannot do anything for him, he is on a course of antibiotics (just in case its a fungal infection) he is extremely lethargic and sleepy, he no longer wants to go for walks (which is unlike him, as in the past he has lived for his walks in the forest and a throw of his ball), he is still eating his meals and drinking (lots) I am conscious what with the hot weather that this is perhaps making his symptoms worse, sleepy etc - I have to say I feel very sorry for him, when he tries as he regularly does to clear his nose, it is almost as though he is gasping for breath - I cannot get a clear answer from my vet as to whether this is how he will always be, and if this gasping for breath looks and sounds worse then what it truly is -  I would not want to ever let my old boy suffer - has anyone out there ever had anything similar  in their dog. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.  

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Alfies Tumour
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:29:35 AM »
Hi there - so sorry to hear about Alfie  :-\  I have had no experience but I know Mel on here has and I'm sure she'll give you all the advice she can.

I did remove your poll as it seemed a little irrelevant to your thread.
helen & jarvis x

Offline NicolaJane

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:45:18 AM »
Hi Helen
Thanks for your response - I hope to hear from anyone that can help in any way at all.
As for the poll - am not really sure what you are supposed to post on there, and I did just enter anything to get my question posted - sorry.  Kindest regards Nicky

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:13:07 AM »
no problem at all  ;)  it's tricky getting around the forum sometimes when you're new  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:13:02 PM »
I can't offer any advice Nicola, as I have no experience but your post is so sad I just wanted to reply  :'(

I'm so sorry to hear about your special boy Alfie & we send as many caring wishes & healing :bigarmhug:  we can.

Medics don't like to give definitive answers sometimes - maybe because they just don't know or have the answer, as each case is individual & unique. If I was you, I'd contact them again for a chat & to explain how you feel & see if they can explain it better for you.

Hopefully Mel will be along soon & she will/may be able to help.

Thinking of you & Alfie  :luv:

Lindsey & the girls xx

If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:53:02 PM »
I am so so sorry to hear about Alfie. Keli had a nasal tumour last summer, unfortunately he lost his battle at the end of January.

It sounds like Alfie has the more usual type of nasal tumour, if you can call it that; nasal tumours constitute only 2% of all canine tumours. Keli's was a mast cell tumour which I fully believe was brought on by an irritant as mast cells congregate at points of irritation or allergies. Keli had little bleeding but he suffered very badly with reverse sneezing and I am guessing from your description Alfie has this too. If so it frightens me to death as my OH's dog does it too and the noise is horrible. Tali did it a little last week too but I guess that was the high pollen.
I'm sure Alfie is feeling completely bushed, I gather he is on Preds and not chemo?

I'm on my phone so can't cut and paste but please do a search of Keli's reverse sneezing diary.

If Alfie has irritation up his nose from pollen or smoke or perfume etc along with the tumour this could be making the bleeding continue. But if it gets worse get him to the vets. Bleeding is very normal with nasal tumours but Keli being Keli, nothing about him or any of his ailments followed the rules.

Please feel free to message me at any time. I'm no vet but I researched loads of stuff and asked many questions about Keli's tumour and treatment and can at least point you in the right direction.
Hope that helps
 :bigarmhug:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline NicolaJane

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 09:35:27 AM »
Many thanks to everyone who has replied, the forum always amazes me how helpful, kind and thoughtful people are -  Mel thanks especially to you, you sound like you have definitely been through very sad times, and I am so sorry your Keli lost his battle. If you really don't mind I do have a few questions which I would really welcome any feedback on:

1.  Alfie is on prescription medication - but only antibiotics (not all the time, when he has a bleed the vet prescribes only these) - the vets are not always certain that he has not got a fungal infection as well as the tumour as Alfie does have a habit of pulling up grass trying to bury his ball and the vet sometimes feels he may get grass seeds up his nose - did Keli have any prescription meds for the tumour - maybe I can prompt my vet.
2. Alfie has always been a very active dog in the past (lived for his ball) - I know he is 10, but just very recently he has lived only for his bed and dinner, I do take him swimming at the local dog hydra therapy pool once a week, which he likes but only for probably 50% of the time we have, he gets out and refuses to go back in, but he has recently taken to just sitting down on his walks and refusing to go forward, only back home - am I reading too much into this or is this normal for a 10 year old just to slow down?
3.  The nose bleeds - (horrible question, but I cannot seem to get a definitive answer from my vet) will it be a big bleed that will see him go - or will it be the sneezing or as I see it gasping for breath as it really is awful trying to calm him down whilst he tries to catch his breath - I simply will not and cannot allow him to suffer, so I am trying to spot whether any of these symptoms are the ones I need to watch for getting worse.

I am sorry if my questions are impossible to answer but any help would be gratefully received - I love my boy and only want what is best for him, be it a slower lifestyle then so be it at least I have him. 

Offline NicolaJane

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 09:44:04 AM »
Mel,Sorry I am a bit rubbish at trying to find my way around the forum - I amazed my posting made it on, I have just tried to search - Keli's reverse sneezing diary and nothing has come up - please can you let me have a link to it or drop me an idiots guide how to get it - many thanks.  Nicky

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 09:47:26 AM »
Here you go Nicky
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=65382.0

So sorry to hear about Alfie... Hope you can find some useful info in Mel's post.  :bigarmhug:'s for you and gentle squidges for Alfie  :luv:

Lisa x
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline NicolaJane

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 10:48:55 AM »
Thank you Lisa for your assistance to the link - on reading Mels posting, it is almost a mirror of Alfie's symptoms and most helpful - now I can go back to my vets and ask if we can try any of the meds - he has been on Rimadyl already and is currently on another course of antibiotic.   thanks again for everyone's input on the forum so far - it is all really helpful and the good wishes are warming and I shall pass on every hug to my lovely old boy!