Author Topic: Urgent advice needed plz :-( ....  (Read 21083 times)

Offline maddy74

Urgent advice needed plz :-( ....
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:09:14 AM »
I seem to be posting all the time re Willow health lately....

Just to re cap she had her spay about a month ago, then had a cough, vet said they thought it was kennel cough....she has had a few lots of tabs and been on loxicom. She seemed fine last week and she went back to her training class, she seemed to enjoy it although calmer/more subdude than usual.

Then the day after training (thurs) I noticed her coughing a little in the morning and her neck seemed stiff when she walked or tried to turn, we then had an incident with a huge dog running up to her whilst out and taking her unaware where she moved suddenly and yelped a good few times when I lifted her in my arms she continued to yelp but no signs anywhere of anything.

On Friday her chest sounded rattly. I took her on a walk she seemed fine, tail wagging the whole time although her neck was still stiff, whilst facing forward this didnt not bother her. I took her on a longer walk than usual as I had to leave her for longer at home than usual. left her, came back she was very reserved, looked uncomfortable, this got progressively worse....  :'( :'( took her to the vets and he listened to her chest and said he thought the kennel cough had changed to chronic bronchitis.... He didnt seemed overly concerned about her neck!!

Yesterday, (sun) when we got up she didnt want to get up, we had to carry her out for a wee, we then had to left her back on the bed and she looked awful, sad, half slit eyes, ears and tail down, the bottom half of her body was shaking.... We decided to take her back to the vets, saw our usual vets, she had been on hols during willows kennel cough. She said her chest sounded okay but Willow did cough a bit whilst we were there!! She was concerned about her neck. She did brighten up a bit whilst there after lying on OH listless whilst waiting. I did tell the vet this.

She took bloods and called me later to say all of her organs are functioning ok, the only thing in the test showed her white blood cells were raised to indicate she is fighting infection, im worried about this as she is now on her fourth lot of anti biotics, why havnt they taken the infection away? Her temp was raised.

She gave us more anti biotics, (stronger ones) in case the chest is still affected by the cough, gave us panacur so it rules out lungworm.
She wants to refer us to a unit to do xrays and further tests, if no improvement over the next few days!! she said she is not sure if the stiff neck is connected to the cough or could be something else. She said if she is no better Wed next week she will make the referral. She said if she gets worse to call them today or tmw and they will make the referral then.

She is still on loxicom and after having this she does come to life a bit, she cannot jump on the furniture when the meds ware off but is better after them although still cautious when moving about.

Please, please, please can someone offer some advise of what to do and what could be wrong with our fur baby. I dont know whether the two lots of symtoms are linked or whether the cough is one thing and her being uncomfortable is another!!

Anyone with any experience of these symtoms or know what it could be, we are going out of our minds with worry!!

Thank you and sorry for the long post!!

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
Re: Urgent advice needed plz :-( ....
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:44:34 AM »
:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Sorry you're having such a worrying time.

I'm no vet, but it sounds like Willow has hurt her neck. The loxicom is an anti-inflammatory pain killer, similar to ibuprofen for humans, so it works by reducing inflammation in the affected area and by blocking pain. When Fizz hurt her neck she showed very similar symptoms to Willow. Dogs cope far better with pain than we do, but her body shaking is an indicator of pain. With Fizz it took several days of calls to the vet and visits for us to work out which bit of her hurt.  :-\

Personally I wouldn't be taking her out on any walks and would be trying to keep her very quiet. The danger of having pain killers is that the dog feels alright while they're effective and can exercise, thereby aggravating any injury. I'd also try not to let her climb on the furniture or go up and down stairs. If I remember rightly, we didn't take Fizz out for about two weeks.

I suppose its possible that Willow may have jarred her neck when she's been coughing, or more likely that she has hurt it when the big dog ran into her on Thursday.

Given that she is still fighting a chest infection of some sort, that would explain her being subdued at training class on Wednesday.

I think I'd keep her very quiet for the next few days, hopefully with a combination of loxicom, antibiotics and rest she'll start to feel more comfortable.

Sending lots of these :bigarmhug: for you and Willow  :luv:

Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline Dozy bird

• My beautiful babies
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »
Sorry no advice to give but just wanted to send my good wishes to you both, you've really been thought the mill lately. Hope she's on the mend soon xxxx

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:04:47 AM »
Sorry no advice to give but just wanted to send my good wishes to you both, you've really been thought the mill lately. Hope she's on the mend soon xxxx
Me too! Lots of these for you and Willow :bigarmhug:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »
Totally agree with the advice from HeatherandBenjy. It sounds as though Willow has hurt her neck so it's best to keep her as quiet and inactive as possible for the next few days.

I hope she recovers very soon :luv:

Offline karen488

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:13:26 AM »
Really sorry Maddy no advice but  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for willow. Hope she gets well soon. Cocker cuddles from Darcey and Bingley x

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 10:31:48 AM »
Totally agree with the advice from HeatherandBenjy. It sounds as though Willow has hurt her neck so it's best to keep her as quiet and inactive as possible for the next few days.

I hope she recovers very soon :luv:

Me too. So sorry your baby is under the weather. Sending love and  :bigarmhug: to you both from us both. x

Offline maddy74

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »
Thanks all, rather than call the vet I am going down now ask them to do the referral today, also to ask what the blood count results were.

She is still eating and her weight has remained the same although this morning I have had to hand feed her her neck seems really sore.  :'( :'(

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »
Poor Willow and poor you too, you are really going through it aren't you.

I really hope Willow starts to turn a corner soon, Keep her quiet and rested to let the tabs do their job

Hugs from Lottie and Lola  :bigarmhug:
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 11:10:03 AM »
Thanks all, rather than call the vet I am going down now ask them to do the referral today, also to ask what the blood count results were.

She is still eating and her weight has remained the same although this morning I have had to hand feed her her neck seems really sore.  :'( :'(

It may help to raise her bowl up a bit (put it on a box or something) so that she isn't having to bend her neck as much to get to her food iyswim  ;)
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »
Not being able to put her head down was one of Lylas burst disc symptoms.....the first one really...then the shaking.  I am in no way saying that is the problem but something to check and rule out x
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »
Sorry no advice - but I hope Willow is soon feeling a lot better. Think I would be giving her plenty of rest though  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
Thank you all so much.

Sheryl I was thinking about Lyla and how she was and even looked through all your old posts first thing.

After having a telephone conversation with KellyT I am heading to the vets now without Willow to ask for an emergency referral to the centre I mentioned earlier.

I will keep you all posted.

Maddy xx

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »
Not bending her head down to eat was the first sign, not wanting to jump or walk much, shaking and just a general depressed appearance is all that springs to mind with Lyla.  To get a good idea of disc problems it has to be an MRI or as in Lylas case, a Myleogram because the MRI wan't available.  I wish you both well and send all the good luck thoughts your way xxx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »
Poor Willow, bless her. I hope you get to the bottom of this really soon. Sending  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011