Author Topic: Parvo outbreak Stoke on Trent  (Read 703 times)

Offline ali2010

Parvo outbreak Stoke on Trent
« on: August 04, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »
We live on the outskirts of Stoke, appaerently there is an outbreak of parvo here. Read that one vets have seen 5 cases a day i  the last week .  Am a bit concerned as Albert has had the runs for the last couple of days. He seems fine otherwise, as lively as normal with no loss of apetite. Think am just going to keep an eye on him and take him to the vets if he still has the runs.
Can anyone tell me - can a dog still get parvo if he has been vaccinated against it?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Parvo outbreak Stoke on Trent
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 08:10:34 AM »
Not sure if they can still get it if immunised - but I would not have thought so, and if so, whether it would be much less severe because of the jab.

Runny bum can be a symptom of so many things - but if you are at all concerned,  you could go to  or phone your vets, to put your mind at ease.

Hope Albert is ok.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 09:29:15 AM »
Yes there have been cases of vaccinated dogs getting Parvo - it depends on the strain that is going around and I am aware that there has been one strain that is not currently vaccinated against but hopefully that will change soon.

Keep an eye on him and if he becomes at all lethargic, vomits or has blood in his diarrhoea get him to the vet.  With parvo the diarrhoea is really foul smelling - once smelt you'll never forget it.

helen & jarvis x

Offline ali2010

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »
Albert has had a good solid poo this morning (sorry TMI  ;) ) so I think he is ok but will keep an eye on him

Thanks for your replies, Alison