Author Topic: Giving Puppy more freedom  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Jenn_Rooney

Giving Puppy more freedom
« on: November 12, 2019, 02:00:40 PM »
Hi all,
Just to let you know the puppy baring teeth is decreasing a lot as we just leave the room when she does this and she is finally getting the picture and I think hubby is learning to!  :lol:
I know that each puppy is different but I just want to see what your thoughts are on this. Bonnie has been in a pen whenever we go out since she was a really young pup. Thats all she has ever known. She is nearing her first birthday and we were wondering when we should maybe start to take down the pen and give her a bit more freedom? She is great when we are in the house and doesn't touch a thing. It's just when we go out. We have a kitchen/ sunroom and we were going to keep the pen up to barricade the sunroom as she has destroyed a sofa when we gave her too much freedom too soon.  :005: I was just wondering what everyone else's approach was to this? She is left with a kong, treat toys and only 1/2 toys is still a bit too young to be trying this?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Giving Puppy more freedom
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 03:48:07 PM »
i think you have to just play it by ear to be honest, you‘ll never know how she‘ll respond until you actually try. I started by letting Humphrey just have the run of the hall and the kitchen to limit any possible damage - I read somewhere that they actually feel more secure if they only have a relatively small area, - I suppose its akin to us being alone in a cosy cottage as opposed to a huge rambling mansion, :005
I used to pull the blind down on the back kitchen door as its all glass and I was a bit worried about how he‘d react seeing cats, the neighbours etc. and I also (don‘t laugh)   put the kitchen chairs onto the table so that he couldn‘t climb up and get into mischief!
As you say, they‘re all different and mature at different stages, but I think at 12 months, you can certainly give it a try. Keep the times she‘s left fairly short at first and stay as casual as you can, The worst thing is making a big thing about leaving, a quick „ˋBye, see you later“  ;) is much less stressful for the dog than a long drawn out farewell which only serves to make the dog believe its a big deal. The return should be equally casual, a reward for being good is ok but keep everything as low key as possible. A treat, toy, kong  or similar, which they ONLY get when they‘re left also helps them accept that being left actually does have its advantages  :lol2: and reduces stress.
She‘ll be fine, I‘m sure. Best of luck!

Offline IonaD

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 04:01:47 PM »
I totally agree with everything bizzylizzy says!!

Bella used to be crated when we went out, then I extended it to the hall, then the hall and kitchen and now she has the front room too.

I leave on music when we go out and she gets a kong stuffed with something she loves then it’s off we go. She’s too distracted by the kong to even know we’ve left!! When we get back despite having that freedom she always comes trotting out of the kitchen.

We started giving her more freedom as she came up to a year.

Good luck with it!!

Offline Digger

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 03:00:10 PM »
Aww yeah-I'd lose the crate in the daytime now personally-let the little pooch have some freedom. I can't help wondering if crating in such a small space must seem to the dog like you going out equals being locked up, which would surely then mean a negative association with you going out. ?? I'm probably wrong-just a thought.
Like bizzylizzy said-keep it short to start with and see how she is.
Personally from very young age we just made sure ours was in the kitchen with no hazards (and all the chairs tucked in....)and left her to it. I just always think what if the dog was in a little crate and there was a fire or something. Or your car breaks down and you're unexpectedly gone for ages. Eek- that's just me but I'm not a fan anyway.
Once ours was fully housetrained we left her in the kitchen with a dogflap so she can get out to the loo. As far as we know, when we're out she just snoozes on a chair. She only plays up to annoy us. If we're not there she doesn't bother! But she's really fine about being left. As soon as we make a move for the front door she jumps on her chair.
Our dog is weird-she'll chew things if we're there but won't touch a thing if we're out.
Like she chases the cat and then when she thinks you're not looking, you'll catch them spooning in front of the woodburner!!
She is in fact hilarious when I go to work..She sees me get my work clothes on and gets all excited.and.jumps in her chair ready to..... wait. I always give her a chew or something when I go to work. I thought it would be a distraction and give her something nice to chomp on when I'm out, but no.
My husband comes in from work a couple of hours after I've left and the chew is still there, right under her nose. He will then take her out, and then give her her dinner.
Only when I come home will she go yay!! And go and get the chew. She is the most bizarre dog I have ever met.
Really good at getting the wrong end of the stick and still very much a work in progress!

Hope it goes smoothly with yours-I'm sure she'll be fine.

Offline Jenn_Rooney

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 01:18:27 PM »
Thanks everyone. Just to clarify she isn't in a crate but a big pen so she has a good bit to roam about in. She is great when we are here but it's when we go to work. know it's a boredom thing so I can't blame her. We tried her at 6 months with a whole big sitting room and she chewed the sofa and the skirting boards  :005: so she was swiftly relocated back to the pen lol. It's just having to construct the pen every morning takes a while but it may be necessary for a while longer as she is still young. Thanks for all your comments I will let you know how it goes lol