Author Topic: My aging golden cocker  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Suzyrus

My aging golden cocker
« on: July 05, 2020, 09:28:18 AM »
Charlie my 11 year old golden cocker. He’s been a handful since the day we got him. We have always said he his half human. He’s got the biggest personality ever. He’s never liked dog walks. You have to drag him the 1st half of the walk then he pulls you and rushes like mad once he knows he’s on his way home. He has to have a treat even to get him out the door. He barks constantly when anyone comes to the house to visit, that much so that we don’t tend to have visitors anymore. He barks when I’m on the phone. We have used 5 different dog sitters when we have gone on holiday because he’s so naughty for them. Growling at them when they want him to do something. He barks if anyone shouts in the house( my 15 year old has benefited from this over the years). He hates us leaving the house. My husband has to put him gym clothes on in the bathroom cos if he seems him putting them on he goes crazy barking.i tend to sneak out the house then phone my husband to stay I’ve gone to work have a good day.
But on top of all this we absolutely adore him. He’s just had an operation on his anul gland last week. He’s got lumps and bumps everywhere. His eyes have gone all droopy. And then last night his back legs failed him but he did get straight back up again. I’m hoping this was a one off. I know he’s started to look really old lately but I’m not ready to lose him anytime soon

Offline annclare

Re: My aging golden cocker
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 06:34:31 PM »
For all of us there comes a sobering moment when we look at our pets and realise they are looking old (perhaps they think the same of us!). My elder cocker bitch is coming up to 13;of the 10 cockers I have had, I have never kept one to 15 although i have friends who have been lucky enough to keep one to 16+. So she is being more cosseted than ever and I am sure you are the same with your Charlie. I understand how much pleasure he has brought you over the years and I hope you have his wonderful company for many more to come.     

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 06:50:00 PM »
Bless your bossy little cotton socks Charlie  :luv: You have done a fine job of training your people, a teenager is no mean feat!
It's sad when you suddenly realise that they have aged and it seems to happen almost overnight.  I hope he is okay and you have many more happy days ahead.  We are never ready to say goodbye.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 10:14:49 AM »
Charlie is a chip off the old block....he and Ollie are from the same vintage :luv:

Ollie has a way of knowing just what you have on your agenda, whether a workman is calling - a delivery he seems to home in on your attempts to divert his attention and his alertness starts.

He sits in the hall expecting the postman each morning...but never at a weekend.  Monday he knows the bin men call(as he see the recycling going out) and is as we call it 'on the bounce'

He is one bossy cocker spaniel who rules his humans and is 12 now :luv:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed