Author Topic: dog poo  (Read 1633 times)

Offline cazndaz

• Site Member
  • Our new puppy, not quite 4 weeks in this pic
dog poo
« on: November 17, 2007, 12:18:18 PM »
not a very nice subject,,,, sorry, but can anyone tell me why my pup eats her own poo and can i stop her. she loves to play in the garden, and am not out there with her all the time..many thanks

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Re: dog poo
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 01:22:26 PM »
Sorry, you just gotta pick it up before she eats it. Loads of threads on here on this subject, Have a look through  :D
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 01:24:30 PM »
 yup, agree with lady lola - remove the temptation and then she can't eat it! ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 01:27:38 PM »
I agree. There's no cure for this unless you pick it up, I found this with my retriever JJ. He will eat it given the chance, but if it's not there he can't have it. Also, maybe an idea not to leave her unsupervised (even for a few minutes) as puppies can get into a lot of mischief in a short amount of time.  :D

Offline LakesUk

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 02:34:21 PM »
Not tried it myself as we don't have this problem (well only with Cat poo) but a well aimed water pistol shot could dissuade them from eating their own.

Andy

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 04:10:30 PM »
Not tried it myself as we don't have this problem (well only with Cat poo) but a well aimed water pistol shot could dissuade them from eating their own.

Andy

Use of aversives like water pistols or cans of pebbles is not recommended for less experienced owner/trainers though - the timing and method of use is critical to avoid unwanted side-effects (such as a fear of water or hand-shyness  :-\)  I've never considered myself skilled enough to risk it, tbh  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 04:28:21 PM »
It is very common and yes picking it up immediately is the only cure  ;)

Lakes Uk:
Be very careful with dogs eating cat poo as cats can pass the Toxoplasma parasite through there faeces which can lead to a toxoplasma infection in dogs   ;)

Offline dizzymare

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 05:48:06 PM »
Yes, I have this problem too.  Not always as easy as said to get to it in time though - Sometimes, Ellie goes on grass in the garden  when I'm not expecting it.  By the time I've got there to clean it up, she's already eaten some  >:D

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 10:47:54 AM »
Hi

Yes not much to add really .I had the same problem with my setter when he was a pup and it lasted sometime. But take heart ,they do grow out of it .I know it looks foul to us but it does get better, honest!

ph34r