Author Topic: Drinking more water  (Read 759 times)

Offline shirleytwins

• Site Member
Drinking more water
« on: January 10, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »
My speyed 6yr old bitch has recently started to drink twice as much water as before (2 pints as opposed to 1 pint) therefore having to pee more and on odd occasions accidents indoors.  She is currently having tests at the vets to find out what is wrong, renal problems have been ruled out by 2 blood tests.  She has been on dry lite food now for well over a year (a bit overweight) and has been ok, shes not a fussy eater at all.  I have heard that cockers are prone to a water obsession that could be the cause of her problems.  Anyone got any ideas?

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Re: Drinking more water
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 04:20:22 PM »
You could be me.  Read 'poor old Holly' and 'just got this e mail'.  Apparently there are 17 things that can make a dog drink more and they have to go through them all.  If they find nothing then it is number 17, diabetes incipidus which I am told is easy to treat.  I am on the final lap with Holly tomorrow, going for a liver scan and function test.  Hope you get to the bottom of it soon and you are more patient waiting than I am ph34r 
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: Drinking more water
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:30:30 PM »
Many cockers love water, it's true, but as far as I'm aware it mostly involves splashing about in it rather than drinking it to excess. I'm glad that kidney problems have been ruled out. Is she panting as well? Have they also ruled out diabetes?
It could be many things and it seems your vet is ruling things out one by one which is encouraging. She could be drinking more because of a temporary infection for example.

She has been on dry lite food now for well over a year (a bit overweight)
Spayed bitches, as you probably know do tend to put on weight more easily as a rule. If she is eating dry food then she will be drinking more than if she were eating wet of course. To help her lose a bit more, can you get her excercise levels up and cut out any highly processed treats and give her raw veggies instead perhaps, such as carrot or apple? Check her current food does not contain uneccessary additives/colours and that it is a good quality food. She could be drinking more as a reaction to some additives  :-\ .

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. Do let us know what the outcome is.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories