Author Topic: Waking at night  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Waking at night
« on: September 28, 2018, 06:57:37 AM »
Maximus is now just over 8 months old and a typical cocker puppy!  Full on, hard work - but totally adorable.
There is one problem I can't get sorted though.
Trev sleeps in a hospital bed so I have the double bed to myself.  I know some people don't agree with dogs on beds, but Alfie and Dexter sleep on my bed with me.  So from the first night, I put Max's crate on the bed and he has slept there too.

It wasn't long before he slept right through the night and it was great.  We went on holiday and that disrupted his routine and he started waking at night again, but a few weeks back home sorted that out and he slept right through again.

Not quite sure when or why it started, but he is now getting me up at least twice in the night.   Usually around 1-2ish and the second time between 4 and 5 ish.  It is really taking it's toll as I am already tired because of my sleep apnoea and this getting up twice a night is even more exhausting.   We tried lifting his water after dinner, but then he would wake up for a drink at about midnight!  So we put the water back down.  Each time he gets me up, he goes in the garden for a wee and sometimes a poo as well.   He is on 2 meals a day now - small breakfast  and main meal at night with the big dogs.

I can't take him out of his crate to sleep yet because he still chews and because I wear a cpap mask, it would be too tempting for him to chew through the air pipe!  (He is fascinated by it)

Any ideas would be very welcome and potentially save my sanity!!!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline bmthmark

Re: Waking at night
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 08:46:29 AM »
It sounds like he definitely needs to go to the toilet, so he probably is waking you because he needs to. Which in a way is a good thing as at least he is telling you. However its not great for you due to lack of sleep.

At 8 months I'm thinking he should last a little longer than a couple of hours. Maybe he has some sort of urine infection? might be worth getting him checked over at the vet.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 08:51:28 AM »
Hi Penny, lovely to hear from you!

Could he be being disturbed by something which then results in him wanting to go to the toilet as he is now awake?  Could one of the dogs be moving around or jumping off the bed which wakes him?

Not sure of a solution sorry (other than trusting him out of his crate not chewing and smearing vick on the pipe to discourage him) but good luck!

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 04:44:13 PM »
It sounds like he definitely needs to go to the toilet, so he probably is waking you because he needs to. Which in a way is a good thing as at least he is telling you. However its not great for you due to lack of sleep.

At 8 months I'm thinking he should last a little longer than a couple of hours. Maybe he has some sort of urine infection? might be worth getting him checked over at the vet.
He can last a lot longer if he wants /needs to.   When it was just the 5am start, I knew it was a neighbour's motorbike that woke him up.   He got used to it and that stopped.  Now the other boys don't even stir when he gets me up - just open and eye and go back to sleep!!! 
Will keep an eye though thanks.  ;)
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 04:47:32 PM »
Hi Penny, lovely to hear from you!

Could he be being disturbed by something which then results in him wanting to go to the toilet as he is now awake?  Could one of the dogs be moving around or jumping off the bed which wakes him?

Not sure of a solution sorry (other than trusting him out of his crate not chewing and smearing vick on the pipe to discourage him) but good luck!

Thank you - the other dogs do move around during the night (I am completely unaware because once I am asleep, nothing wakes me up!!)  Maximus can be scrabbling and whimpering in his crate for a while before Trev wakes me up when it becomes obvious he is not going to settle back down.  (I actually stayed asleep when the smoke alarm went off - long story - but if Trev hadn't woken me up it would have been a very different outcome as our son nearly set fire to the kitchen!!!)   
I can't risk him making a hole in the hose of my pipe because without the cpap machine I would be very poorly... .hopefully he will be more settled and trustworthy in the near future.

Got to love a cocker!  (I waited a very long time for this boy and am slightly besotted so pretty much forgive him anything)
 :luv: :luv: :luv: