Author Topic: Bad manners  (Read 632 times)

Offline Soodles

• Suzy my working cocker
Bad manners
« on: December 10, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »
Hello, My working cocker Suzy is 6 months old and up to now has greeted other dogs with a cautious sniff until she is sure they want to run round like a rocket with her. The last few weeks she has been greeting other dogs by jumping and "pawing" at their faces to entice them into a game.  Obviously this is not too much of a problem if the other dog is friendly or gives her a healthy ticking off but if she picks the wrong dog it could obviously result in her being bitten or attacked as she is coming out of her puppy privilege phase. 

Does anybody have any tips to train her out of this unwanted behaviour as she even bothers friends dogs in this way when we are all out walking together.

Offline PennyB

Re: Bad manners
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »
I will often not allow my dogs to run up to dogs I don't know anyway - mine often respond to coming back to me if I have a tennis ball or similar - I did have to work on them to make them ball crazy though but its a useful tool

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Soodles

• Suzy my working cocker
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
Yes, I think that may be a good rule to adopt as she has good recall and I will certainly try the ball lure as its got to be better than me shrieking "get down" which falls on deaf ears!  Thanks for the tip.

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:08:42 PM »
I have this problem too and she has also started jumping up at the owners as well. I try to put her on the lead if I see another dog/person and tell her to leave but can't always catch her in time.  I don't know what else to do either  :huh: