Author Topic: Shadows Lights and Reflections Help!  (Read 1903 times)

Offline kobesdad

Shadows Lights and Reflections Help!
« on: February 05, 2023, 06:03:57 PM »
My nearly 10 month old boy Kobe has developed an unhealthy fixation with lights, reflections and shadows.  The sunlight reflecting off the patio doors on the walls and onto the patio sets him off into total excitement chase and prey mode.  The sun reflecting off my watch against the wall has the same effect too.  The fridge light on the kitchen floor.  I have looked online and it states this could relate to some type of OCD.  He has over 2 hours exercise a day on and off the lead.  I play with him throughout the day too.  He has a snuffle mat and brain game treat dispenser and also a flirt pole too though the fixation isn't going anywhere soon.  I am now at the stage were I am dreading sunny days (so closing curtains and keeping the room dark doesn't help me as I suffer seasonal adjustment disorder).   Any advice would be really appreciated as I am at my wits end now. 

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Shadows Lights and Reflections Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 07:06:00 PM »
My boy Ned is almost the same age as your boy.  I have always limited his exercise and at the moment he has about 45 minutes off lead in the morning (but he is not doing his own thing when off the lead as I like to keep him focused on me) and sometimes 20 minutes in the afternoon. After exercise I always make sure he rests and chills out.  I don’t know if your boy rests much, but it seems from what you describe that maybe he is over stimulated throughout the day and needs to learn to switch off and chill. As much as I love my dogs, they have to adapt to my life style and if I am busy, they have to accept that I am not going to play with them and they have learnt to chill out when I am busy.  My dogs are both young, 18 months old Maisie and nearly 10 months Ned but they still need to rest.
I am sure other COLers will also offer their advice
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Shadows Lights and Reflections Help!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 09:43:27 AM »
I had Scottie’s before my spaniels, and one of them loved chasing shadows. If the sun was out she would ask me to make shadows on the floor with my hands and she loved chasing and pouncing on them. I used to show her, so it was quite useful in an outdoors ring to keep her looking alert. I treated it as a game, and like all games when it was over said, OK, that's enough now. I can't  recall her chasing other shadows, but she did like watching TV!  Maybe it's just the natural chasing prey instinct.

Maybe if you treated it as a game, and then ignored it when the game was over?
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo