Author Topic: another castration question  (Read 653 times)

Offline millyann

another castration question
« on: January 24, 2012, 11:04:31 PM »
Reading recent posts on this topic, I have been wondering again if I am doing the right thing leaving Carlo entire and whether, in fact, I ought to have him castrated. He is 2. He often rushes up and barks at big dogs like GSDs and staffies but I have always felt that this is fear, based on his being attacked by a staff about a year ago, and I try to avoid these big dogs or steer him away. But his dogwalker, who walks him twice a week, says he is actively picking fights with dogs his own size, like a local whippet on her beat, and that he is very growly and snappy with the other dogs in her van. She is very keen that we have him neutered ( in fact, many dog walkers round here won't take entire dogs).  He certainly barks and growls at the entire working cocker round the corner from us which is a shame because it would be great if we could walk them together. He is fine with female and neutered dogs and he certainly never shows any aggression to a human. If I have him neutered, will his behaviour with other male dogs get better or worse? He is our first dog so I have no experience to draw on and I don't really know what to do. Any advice would be welcome.

Offline KayJay

Re: another castration question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:04:06 AM »
There are no guarantees that neutering will sort out his behaviour....it might well have started as a fear-based reaction and become a learned behaviour (it worked the first few times, he learned that barking/lunging gained him space, so he pre-empts any possible threat by "getting in first") or it may be hormonal. There is a way to find out whether neutering will make a difference.....chemical castration, which would let you see if his behaviour is hormonally-driven; it's a short-term solution and wears off relatively quickly (Tardak 4-6 weeks, suprelorin about 6 months). Be aware that if it is fear-based there is a chance that neutering might make it worse....removing the hormones actually causes serotonin levels to drop.
Nice article here http://liziangel.blogspot.com/2011/08/castration-effects-on-male-dog-health.html
Kay Jennings CAP 1 & 2
www.fourpawsonedirection.co.uk

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »
I agree with KayJay. I wouldn't have him castrated until I'd tried behavioural therapy.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:12:52 PM »
According to studies on the cocker spaniel, neutering does not reduce instances of aggression,i think you should seek the advice of a reputable behaviour adviser, preferably one who knows the breed well.
i certainly would be wary of neutering from reading your post. ;)
It has also been found that cockers displaying aggression often suffer from low levels of serotonin in the brain although this is not related to castration.
there are diets you can use to boost serotonin levels in your dog, just google val Strong's diet for aggression.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk