Author Topic: Why wouldn't puppies be KC registered?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline sarahbe

Why wouldn't puppies be KC registered?
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:14:20 AM »
I have seen a couple of pups but they are not KC registered- does this matter?

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Re: Why wouldn't puppies be KC registered?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:53:38 AM »
Some of things that prevent breeders from KC registering pups, is the parents of the pups are not KC registered.

They have had more litters from the bitch than they should have. I'm sure there are other reasons which somebody else may know about.

I would imagine the sire and dam of the pups have not been health tested either. Be careful.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:03:06 AM »
Sarah this thread gives advice on what to look for in a reputable breeder - http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=48072.0

As said the only likely reasons why someone wouldn't KC reg puppies is if they are breeding from unregistered dogs (and therefore you have no way of knowing if these dogs are who the person says they are or of knowing their pedigree details or if any pedigree details you're given are genuine), if they are breeding from a bitch that is too young or too old or they've had too many litters from or they just don't want to pay to register the pups - no good breeder would do any of these things.

If you're looking for a puppy try contacting your local representative of the Cocker Spaniel Club, they should be able to give you the details of some good breeders in your area - http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/breedclubs.htm  

Alternatively you could go along to a show in your area - details of many upcoming shows are posted on the Showing board on here - and speak to some of the exhibitors there. Free ads, classified puppy selling websites etc. are not a good way to find a puppy, I don't know of any reputable breeders who would sell puppies in this way so steer clear of those.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
It could also be that the parents of the pups have had breeding endorsements put on them by their breeder (perhaps for a reason).  This would mean that their progeny couldn't be registered.  ;)
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 11:14:18 AM »

It does if you want to show your pup under KC rules!
Spaniels In Need

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 02:22:19 PM »

Are you looking on the free ad sites on the web as there are loads.    Are you looking for a puppy now, if you are, it might be also worth posting on here on the Looking for a Puppy section. 

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 02:50:02 PM »
I guess a non-KC registered pup has a higher chance of coming from a puppy farm as well.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 04:45:45 PM »
Mum could also be over 8 years old and had numerous litters. I do know of breeders who have their girls pregnant in every season. If you think a season could be every 6 months that's a lot of litters!
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline sarahbe

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 05:03:34 PM »
Thanks everyone- this has been very enlightening. I had been looking at the free adds but have now decided to go for a really good breeder- and have got a few pups to choose from!!!!! Fantastic- I could look at puppy pictures all day!!! Also to enlarge my budget!

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 07:04:38 PM »
Thanks everyone- this has been very enlightening. I had been looking at the free adds but have now decided to go for a really good breeder- and have got a few pups to choose from!!!!! Fantastic- I could look at puppy pictures all day!!! Also to enlarge my budget!

That's great news, it may cost a bit more but by having the health checks, sound temprement etc you could save lots of vet bills in the future. Good luck choosing your perfect pup  :luv:
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 08:09:21 PM »
Ditto the above! I always tell the story of a friend of mine who came bragging to me that she had paid £200 less for a bichon frise ( sorry about spelling!) than from one of the "big names". It came riddled with fleas and all other unmentionables and it cost her £250 at the vets to have it "put right". Where's the saving in that???!!! Lol x
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).