Author Topic: really concerned  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
really concerned
« on: December 12, 2007, 12:09:51 AM »
hi
I was going to put this under health but as Annie is  pup..i felt more at home here..Annie keeps getting a rolling eye in her left eye it went very red and her eyeball was drooping and kept her eye half shut. We took her to the vet who did ultra violet test on her eye and said her outer covering was scratched. Got some eye cream and after a few days all was well. Today its happened again her eye is drooping again, very red half shut and making her squeal alot....we've applied eye cream dont want to put her through Vet unless we have to (she doesnt like it)....any advice would be appreciated...
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: really concerned
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 12:21:38 AM »
Is her cornea scratched? Back to the vet then, or at least ring them up. It's not something you want to mess with yourself.  ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline sylvia

• Site Member
  • Cinderella, Cindy for short
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:01:58 AM »
yes I would go back to the vets and find out how she does it. Could it be that she scratches herself does she need her paws clipping? Don`t mess about and wait to long. ::)
"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 05:10:36 PM »
You havent got a cat have you ??  Just wondering if the cat may have bashed the pup (happened to a friend of mine)

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 06:47:12 PM »
hi went to the vet..Annie has no tears basicaly...it may be temporary but could be permanent  :'( she has to have gel 5 tines a day in her eyes...if it is permanent she will have to have drops every day 2 times for ever ...has anyone heard of this ???

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 06:56:26 PM »
hi went to the vet..Annie has no tears basicaly...it may be temporary but could be permanent  :'( she has to have gel 5 tines a day in her eyes...if it is permanent she will have to have drops every day 2 times for ever ...has anyone heard of this ???

Is it Dry Eye? Molo was tested for this a while ago....it turned out to be hayfever in his case  :-\

I think that Dry Eye is an autoimmune condition......there are some good online support groups for owners of dogs that suffer from this range of illnesses, as they are not well understood by some vets  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 07:59:22 PM »
Awww your poor pup  :'( It must be horribly uncomfortable.
Make sure it's not ingrowing eyelashes either, my friend has a saluki with this problem and his eyes get very sore without the vet creams, eye drops etc... I think he's going to have an operation soon to try and sort it all out.

Mary x

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 10:12:52 AM »
It is dry eye - keratoconjunctivitis sicca.  Optimmune may help - it didn't for Charley.

If you visit France or Germany you can purchase Fradexam, which has worked miracles for Charley.  Unfortunately, it's not available here.

I have been treating Charley for over nine years now.  It's tedious, but you must persevere for your dog's sake.  Viscotears is far better than hypromellose as it is a gel and is longer lasting.  You can also purchase Infected Eyes from the chemist for a shade under £5.00.  This is chloramphenicol - an antibiotic - and is much cheaper than getting it under another name from your vet.

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 11:22:01 AM »
Just caught up with this. No advice but wishing Annie well. xx
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 11:30:09 AM »
hi Annie is on lubrithal at the mo 4 times aday :-\ but Vet is not sure if the anti biotic she had at 14 weeks for a tummy bug is the cause (apparantley) its a side affect...or its dry eye. So we go back next week to see.....its horrible seeing her eys like this (although the gel is working)....just feel sorry for her x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 11:52:30 AM »
My friend has an 11 yr old cocker that developed this condition about 4 years ago.. I know he's ended up using human equivalents of the necessary drops as it's cheaper and he's been doing that for years now.. I'll try and remember to ask what it is when I see them next. Hoping it's temporary for Annie though  :-*

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 12:41:51 PM »
Vet is not sure if the anti biotic she had at 14 weeks for a tummy bug is the cause (apparantley) its a side affect...

there are a few drugs that have this side-effect, apparently; when Molo was being tested for the condition, he needed to be sedated, and the vet had to do some research to find a sedative that didn't have this side effect  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 05:15:34 PM »
Hi

my last cocker,Sweep, developed dry eyes about 5 years b4 he died ( still miss him) We applied viscotears and optimune twice every day and the vet checked his tear reading with a litmus paper about every six months, he was having a nasty dischange in his eyes and that was why we took him to the vets in the first place but the discharge cleared up as long as he was having treatmen.Sadly he devoloped cancer at 8 years Bless. :luv:
Liz