Author Topic: free Windows 10 upgrade  (Read 15203 times)

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
Re: free Windows 10 upgrade
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 07:58:19 AM »
I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 but didn’t like it so went back to Windows 7.  Then I thought I shouldn’t stay in the past so I upgraded my desktop, keeping my original Windows 7 on a separate hard drive though so I can go back to 7 at anytime if problems arise.
Must say that I am really getting to like it now, although it is not so different from the previous version and easy to get used to.
Just done the laptop again too.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 11:22:51 PM »
I've been advised by our IT guy at work to wait a couple of months until the bugs are worked out before upgrading  ;)

Sony have advised NOT to upgrade as it's not compatible with their hardware yet.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 12:23:14 AM »
My son is an IT engineer and upgraded one of his machines to windows 10 but is not happy with it. I got a new laptop earlier this year which has windows 8.1 which I like and my son has advised not to upgrade to windows 10 at the moment although I've to be careful to avoid agreeing to the upgrade with the popup that seems to appear almost daily.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 07:23:54 AM »
I upgraded a few weeks back and I quite liked it, although it takes a bit of getting used to where everything is.

However, it kept freezing my laptop and the screen would go black.  It got very annoying  >:D  You can easily go back to your old version within the first month, so that is what I did with no problems.

Will probably upgrade again when they have ironed out all the blips  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »
If I try to upgrade I keep getting Please wait message. as I have no Patience  after 3 mins I cancel . Can not see myself upgrading unless it starts immediately  :003:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 10:50:45 PM »
The last Windoze system I used was 3.1 as an upgrade to the disaster that was Windoze 3.0  :005:

Got so fed up waiting for the 3.11 bug fix (Nothing new there then  :shades:) that I moved to Mac and have been there ever since  ;)

Bob.

Offline tenaille

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 03:52:42 PM »
Upgraded my laptop the other day, easy enough although it took quite a while over the slooow internet here in rural France (and my laptop is quite old). The only real difference to Windows 7 that I have noticed is that Internet explorer disappeared and was replaced by Microsoft Edge (easily reversed), bootup from cold takes longer but recovery from sleep is very quick.  All settings and favourites were correctly preserved.  As a retired IT Manager I'm comfortable with Windows.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 05:33:43 PM »
well, have took advantage of free upgrade. So far have found everything how I left it , just slight differences mainly the graphics.
 Will say though, it took 8 or nine hours so set it going before bedtime and leave it to do its thing while you are sleeping. It needs no input from us to do its thing  ;)
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline tenaille

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 09:17:37 AM »
I ended up reverting back to Windows 7 because after several days I noticed that the USB ports on my HP laptop weren't working.
I couldn't find an updated usb driver at the time to fix the problem but maybe there is now.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 09:23:10 AM »
Y'all need Linux Mint :D

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 09:47:59 AM »
I ended up reverting back to Windows 7 because after several days I noticed that the USB ports on my HP laptop weren't working.
I couldn't find an updated usb driver at the time to fix the problem but maybe there is now.

How did you get back to windows 7 ?     My hubby hates windows 10 & would love to go back.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline tenaille

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 10:09:04 AM »
Just trying to remember back,  I think it was just normal system restore back to before the upgrade (I'm sure Windows 10 saves the restore point).

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »
For those who do not want to upgrade to windows 10 be warned. There is a plan to make it an automatic upgrade by Microsoft which will be part of a normal update download. The best way of stopping this is to download a program called "never 10" it is a freeware program and takes 30 seconds and does not stop normal updates just the windows 10 one.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 02:07:29 PM »
For those who do not want to upgrade to windows 10 be warned. There is a plan to make it an automatic upgrade by Microsoft which will be part of a normal update download. The best way of stopping this is to download a program called "never 10" it is a freeware program and takes 30 seconds and does not stop normal updates just the windows 10 one.

I had a message saying an automatic upgrade would occur   July 29th ish (can remember exact date)
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 06:06:37 PM »
Well my new laptop came with Windows 10 so have grinned and beared it!
Don't care for it much.

As for the automatic Window 10 update, found this interesting, because it was on the news today that Microsoft
have paid out $10,000 for an unwanted upgrade from 7 to 10 which caused problems for person in US.
Hope link works!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36640464

Seems stupid to to upgrades with this payout hanging over them

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed