Author Topic: Dryers?!  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Mjjackson43

Dryers?!
« on: December 13, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »
Hello all...sorry...me again!

So with the winter months now upon us Sally is getting very muddy on most of her walks and is needing to be washed off when we get home. I wondered if anyone could recommend a good dog dryer? I have been using our own hair dryer (on cool setting) but it's just not powerful enough. I'm looking for something powerful to dry her quickly and relatively quiet. All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Tom :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Dryers?!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 01:30:01 PM »
If its just legs and belly that are wet and dirty, I use an absorbant sponge/cloth to get the excess water and mud off and then let Humphrey dry naturally and brush out later. I don't think the one that I use is available in UK but I've find a similar sort of thing on Amazon UK, so you can see what sort of thing they are.  This is 's the link:

Easidri Pet and Equestrian Grooming Towel for Dog/ Horse/ Around The Home, M, 68 cm/ 43 cm.,

I'm really impressed with them, - you can rinse them out or machine wash them and use them over and over, We keep one in the car.
I had to shower Humphrey this morning as he'd been rolling  >:D , so got the worst of the water off with that and then wrapped him in a micro fibre poncho. If I use a dryer, I use my normal one but try not to do it too often as I'm worried about drying the hair out too much.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 01:36:25 PM »
P.s - those on the link, seem a bit pricey, - I only pay about £4,00 for the ones I use, they're about 40cm square, but just wanted to show the sort of thing I mean!

Offline john51

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 02:02:34 PM »
Jackson is 12 months old and is still carrying puppy fur therefore is a challenge after most walks at this time of year. I decided it was worth getting a dryer and find it works well, letting me brush out any dirt that is left after he's been blown dry. The one I got was the Aeolus Cyclone H901T which cost just over £130. There are dryers available on the net that look identical for about £60 but I didn't want to risk it even though in principle they're pretty simple bits of equipment.

It's definitely better than a hairdryer and can use just the heat from the motor so it doesn't get too hot. If you use one of the nozzles it will  blast a lot of the water off even if turned down from max speed. Jackson is not comfortable with that however so I usually use the hose without a nozzle. If you do that you can feel some of the water being blown off and it's quicker than a hair dryer but still takes a while.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Home of Lenny and the late, great, Dylan.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 02:53:17 PM »
Those look good, - I never knew there were such things! What is the main advantage over a hairdryer? (- hope  that's not a silly question but they're not exactly cheap). I must admit that despite my super microfibre cloths, by the time Humphrey's dry after his morning walk, its time to go out again. Can you use it frequently without damaging the hair?
Thanks!

Offline john51

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 03:14:43 PM »
Not a silly question at all. The main advantages are the volume of air they shift and the speed of the air. Both of those mean that they will dry the thick hair of a dog's coat more quickly than a hairdryer. Hairdryers I've used also tend to be a bit hot even on the lowest setting. I'm guessing that hair damage is primarily caused by overheating the hair so unless someone shows me differently I assume that using it once or twice a day is not going to cause any problems.

If they are designed and made properly they should last longer than a hair dryer which tend to be engineered for light use and is one of the reasons I decided to go for one with a recognised maker's name.
Home of Lenny and the late, great, Dylan.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 04:44:08 PM »
Wahl do a pet dryer for under £20 which we find is quite adequate for use on our two. It has three heat levels plus cool and a stand so that you can use it to direct a stream of warm air while using both hands to fluff through their fur to assist drying.

Chaz, our worker, has a sort of built in spin dryer/water redistribution facility so doesn't take much to dry off but Milly, our little furry monster, needs the dryer, micro fibre towels and some serious elbow grease to get her completely dry….She loves being towelled dry though  :luv:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-ZX657-Pet-Hairdryer-Stand/dp/B001PGX7VW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450024396&sr=8-1&keywords=Wahl+pet+dryer

Bob.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
Thanks for the info! Maybe have to see what Santa brings!  ;)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 06:22:21 PM »
I have the Aeolus td 901 it's brilliant, has adjustable speed, heat/no heat.
Still takes 30 mins to dry using it after a bath though.

If his ears just get wet on walks then I,ll use my hairdryer.