Author Topic: Coat care after spaying.  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Amethyst

• Photo of Etta our Red Cocker Spaniel
Coat care after spaying.
« on: October 27, 2015, 06:28:14 PM »
Hi, does anyone have anything they have tries for their cockers coats after spaying. We have previously had a spaniel and after spaying her coat went woolly and lost its shine and was quite hard to manage.  We now have a 3 yr old spaniel and are considering neutering, the vet suggested omega 3 & 6 oils, but it is the hormones that they are not making which keeps their coats glossy.
any help would be appreciated.

Offline Hamad

Re: Coat care after spaying.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 04:20:29 PM »
Some use the coat king while the hair is wet, this is a post by Holly Berry back in 2013:

Yes I lather her up in the bath and then use the coatking.Don't forget to have something to trap the hair in the bath  ;)  I got the idea from this thread http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=99344.msg1463964#msg1463964

Although the woman makes it look brutal, and brought about quite a lot of discussion, its not necessary as I found that the soap provided resisitence to the CK and therefore I didn't need to apply alot of pressure. I only CK where I would have handstripped, her back,flanks and down back legs holding the skin taught as you would if you were hanstripping, but using the coatking instead.

I haven't got any photos of her just after grooming and she is due now, so if you can wait a few days, I'll post some  :D

This is Rosie my other girl. She is 9 and was spayed at 2

She's referring to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPV3h0LDc34

This is the full discussion:
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=101013.msg1488026#msg1488026

Offline Amethyst

• Photo of Etta our Red Cocker Spaniel
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 03:45:31 PM »
Hi, thankyou so much, I saw the clip about using a coat king when lathered up but wasn't sure it did look a bit brutal. I handstrip her at the moment  but we are thinking of having her spayed sometime in the near future. do you use any coat supplements like omega 3 & 6.

Offline Hamad

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 06:44:49 PM »
Would love to see a picture of Etta :)

I didn't neuter Bertie, I hand strip as well and used omega supplements during the first year but stopped after he turned one as the oil supplement had a very unpleasant smell, I know many use better products but I had no luck finding them here.

I saw the clip about using a coat king when lathered up but wasn't sure it did look a bit brutal.

I agree although many have said the lady makes it look worse than it really is, I never tried it or seen anyone use it personally but Holly's post is something I like to refer to because I didn't expect her dogs were spayed, wouldn't have guessed it judging by how great their coats look.

Offline gatsbys mate

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »
Thanks to everyone in this thread. I had my Sophie spayed 3 weeks ago for health reasons and have been dreading her losing her coat especially as her daughter has such a lovely coat. After reading this thread I feel really encouraged. At the moment they are both hand stripped by the groomer who strongly disapproves of the coatking but having seen these results I shall start with the coatking as soon as her coat starts to get woolly .

Offline gatsbys mate

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »
I've checked my coatking and it has 26 teeth not the 20 used in the clip. Does anyone know if this matters or should I get a 20 teeth? I know I sound a bit of a dilly but I want to do the best I can for Sophie.