Author Topic: How big will Dixie get?  (Read 839 times)

Offline Bluepaula

How big will Dixie get?
« on: November 23, 2015, 07:49:52 PM »
Hi
Love this forum and learning so much. Dixie is now 6 months old and doing great (working male cocker). I think I can say without any bias  :005: that he is most lovely dog ever!  He has great really social personality loves people and other dogs. If I could from iPad I would post photo of how cute he is! Anyway my question we measured him tonight and he is 15 inches tall. How much more will he grow?

Many thanks
Paula :shades:

Offline Markr64

• Donator
Re: How big will Dixie get?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 08:25:04 PM »
Hi Paula

The best answer I can give is, how long is a piece of string? Dixie will grow a bit more yet I would of thought and maybe fill out a touch more. As long as he is not fat you will have no problem.

Mark

Offline Bluepaula

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 08:45:47 PM »
Thanks Mark just wondered if do most of their growing in first 6 months or if grow more in next year. He's not fat he never stays still long enough to get fat. Although he is cuddly up next to me at moment enjoying a chill.  :D

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:27:10 PM »
At 6 months he may have reached full height, or he may grow upwards a bit more in the next couple of months, but he'll still have lots of maturing and filling out to do, which could take another year or more (like Mark said, how long is a piece of string) :D

The Breed Standard states that dogs should be between 15.5 and 16 inches at the shoulder. Many show types end up within that range, but there's more variation in workers because they've been bred for generations for their working ability rather than appearance or size and that's led to workers ranging from pocket rockets to pretty much Springer Spaniel size.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 12:56:55 AM »
I agree with Elaine - at about 6 months they have often got to full height (but still grow but its usually filling out that happens)

Even show type cockers can vary - I have a small 10kg adult show type boy - but my adult working cocker girl is 12kg
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 07:48:02 AM »
Chaz, our male working cocker, didn't stop growing in height until he was about a year old. He then continued bulking out for a few months until it all finally converted to muscle with a lowering in weight to give him his current weight of 22 kilos and height of 18.5 inches across the shoulder.

He's a BIG boy  :005: but it runs in the family as his dad is the same size and big males seem to feature in his pedigree as well.

We're fortunate in his having the most wonderful of dispositions and being equally at home spending a day up in the hills to the West of Aberdeen where he seems completely tireless or cuddling up next to me for a lazy day at home  :luv:

Bob.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 01:27:23 PM »
When I was small and learning all about dogs the old 'dog men' used to say look at their paws for a guide to how big they will grow. Not sure how reliable this is but if Dixie is boasting a set of size 12's - be prepared for a bit more growth!