Author Topic: Feeding and Exercise Advice for a first time Cocker owner  (Read 6171 times)

Offline rubybella

Re: Feeding and Exercise Advice for a first time Cocker owner
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 04:10:22 PM »
No, it is actually exercise rather than walk!

I have copied this from the Kennel Club.

"Puppies need much less exercise than fully-grown dogs. If you over-exercise a growing puppy you can overtire it and damage its developing joints, causing early arthritis. A good rule of thumb is a ratio of five minutes exercise per month of age (up to twice a day) until the puppy is fully grown, i.e. 15 minutes (up to twice a day) when three months old, 20 minutes when four months old etc"

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 05:31:18 PM »
No, it is actually exercise rather than walk!

I have copied this from the Kennel Club.

"Puppies need much less exercise than fully-grown dogs. If you over-exercise a growing puppy you can overtire it and damage its developing joints, causing early arthritis. A good rule of thumb is a ratio of five minutes exercise per month of age (up to twice a day) until the puppy is fully grown, i.e. 15 minutes (up to twice a day) when three months old, 20 minutes when four months old etc"

Thanks for clarifying things. So for Millie it is actually 2 20 minutes walks a day for a total of 40 minutes rather than the 3 walks that I believed.

I am happy to give her an extra 10 minutes per walk which in my opinion keeps her calm in the house and not bouncing off the furniture and possibly doing more harm to her joints in the future.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 09:00:34 PM »
I have had many working gun dogs for over 40 years a lot of them were suffering stiff joints by the age of 8 or 9, now they all had hard working lives so that may have been the reason for the stiffness in later life, or it might have been we were working full days before they were a year old.

I know different now, why risk giving your dogs problems in later life, use a bit of common sense something around the 5 minute rule you will have another 10 years to let your pup have as much exercise as it wants. 
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly