Author Topic: Really Struggling  (Read 10616 times)

Offline smff73

Really Struggling
« on: November 25, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »
Hi folks,

New here, but unfortunately not for good reasons. My poor, gentle, loving Cocker, Fergus is in the emergency vets, struggling. He's almost 10 and has been Addisons diagnosed for about 7 years. His BUN and creatinine levels are high, his pancreas and kidneys are struggling a bit, and I can't stop crying at the though of losing my best friend, my shadow, my partner-in-crime.

He's always been a bit of an anomaly since he was hit by a car aged one. Since then he's pulled through numerous Addisons attacks, but since introducing him to Nutriment raw, and finally sorting out his meds, he had a new lease of life, with people who hadn't seen him in a while remarking on how well he looked, saying he was like a different dog ( he was even mistaken for a puppy a couple of months ago!

I work shifts so we spend almost every day together going on big long walks to the beach, forest walks, then back home where I sit and watch tv or read with him curled up in my lap snoring. It sounds ridiculous but the bond is incredible, he's been with me through some very difficult, lonely years, and I can safely say he's been the only reason I've not sunk into deep depression. The prospect of losing the wee guy is terrifying me, I feel sick, can't eat, and I genuinely don't know if I'll cope, and how to go about it.

We took him into the emergency vet on Saturday morning, and he was with them, and his own vet until Monday afternoon when I collected him. He seemed fine, and his vet gave us pills to increase the blood flow through his kidneys ( which have helped before ) and antibiotics. But we had to take him back in later that night as he was lethargic and not massively keen on his food, although he did eat it.

They say he's quite bright now, a small amount of diarrhoea, and not eating, so I took in some of his favourite food, a boiled egg and some chicken.

I feel I have no support at all, and going through this alone. Reading posts here have made me realise there are likeminded people out there. All I've experienced so far is the "it's just a dog attitude"

Thanks so much for reading this, I just feel I need to speak to people who understand about my poor wee guy.

Offline Sara_Clara

Re: Really Struggling
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 12:49:34 PM »
So very sorry to hear this.  You have come to the right place for support and I am sure more people will come along soon.  It is very hard to describe just how much we love our dogs to those who don't.  Suffice to say I know just what you are going through and I send you and Fergus lots of hugs and hope he is soon feeling much better. :bigarmhug:
Puppy Colour: Chocolate Sable Roan
Puppy DOB: 25.02.24
Puppy Name: Murphy
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 12:54:09 PM »
So sorry to hear that, will really keep fingers crossed that everything goes ok. Fergus sounds like a little fighter. 
I do agree, that non dog lovers don't truly comprehend the bond between people and their pets and I think it was a wise move to contact this forum, you're not alone and you'll be surprised at the amount of people all pulling for you and Fergus - a lot of us have been in a similar situation at some time or another.
I wish you both all the very best, do try to stay positive and keep us posted.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 01:16:46 PM »
He is anything but "just a dog". They are each unique and incredible individuals. My hopes are with you both.

Best wishes
Rodney

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 01:18:29 PM »
So sorry to hear about Fergus  :016:, you have definitely come to the right place for support. We all feel the same way about our furry friends. :luv: Fergus sounds quite a fighter, so i would just like to send you both lots of love and positive thoughts :luv: :luv: :bigarmhug:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline daw

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 01:44:31 PM »
So very sorry. We have been there recently and know the pain is indescribable. I do think it's not a dog thing, more a spaniel thing. They have the unique ability to share your skin at times...mine have supported me through illness and loss so often.

I will hope for the very best outcome for you and your boy. Take care of yourself too. 

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 01:47:17 PM »
He is your pal, your joy and has helped
you through the dark times.
They give so much to you that I feel sorry for those
who feel "it's just a dog" as they know not of
which they speak.
me and Ellie send you the biggest hug and cocker
kiss we can find... :bigarmhug:  :-* and a whole heap
of super-positive cyber-vibes for your wee soldier Fergus :luv:
steffnelliexxx

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 01:50:58 PM »
Wishing Fergus the best recovery he can have and many more memories for the two of you to make together

Jayne, Pearl and Coral

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 03:36:13 PM »
Sending big cyber hugs, and prayers. Lots of love Wendy Honey and Pip xxxx
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 03:48:44 PM »
Cyber hugs for you and Fergus  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: hope your little friend has a good recovery.

No worries you are amongst friend here, who know how much our pets mean to us    :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 03:50:15 PM »
Sorry to hear Fergus is not too well at the moment, sending you and him  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
The members on here are united by their love of their cockers, we all feel that these are furry family members and not just dogs! Hoping for better news about Fergus soon, look after yourself as well

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 04:45:28 PM »
Now you have joined "the family"  you get the benefits. The knowledge we have to share is unmeasurable, the love we have for our best buddies is incredible. We are worldwide so even in your darkest hour, someone will be ready to listen. There will be another who is or has gone through Addison's if not the rest of us will do our best.
Sorry to hear about lovely Fergus, he sounds such a brave boy.
Sending  :bigarmhug: to you both
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 06:08:40 PM »
Now you have joined "the family"  you get the benefits. The knowledge we have to share is unmeasurable, the love we have for our best buddies is incredible. We are worldwide so even in your darkest hour, someone will be ready to listen. There will be another who is or has gone through Addison's if not the rest of us will do our best.
Sorry to hear about lovely Fergus, he sounds such a brave boy.
Sending  :bigarmhug: to you both

Min has said the very words I would have said, but I would like to add these words to
Everyone on here now has you in their thoughts and healing thoughts are being
sent to Fergus all the time. "The Family" welcomes you both with love.
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Val xx

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 06:46:58 PM »
Friends don't need to apologise to friends for how they are feeling, and you don't have to explain to us the worry and fears that you have.  It is never easy having a family member who is unwell.  Sending positive thoughts for Fergus.  :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 07:32:33 PM »
Poor Fergus and poor you. Everyone here understands how you feel. My lovely Milo was my best friend, when Iwas very ill a few years ago he lay next to me on the bed and never left except to eat his dinner and pop outside for a wee. When he died in January my world ended. Just a dog, said my next door neighbour  >:D.  If   it was a choice between saving my dog in an emergency and the bloke next door, no contest!!!

Sending you lots of positive thoughts, I hope Fergus gets through this and you have more years of love and friendship to come  :bigarmhug:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo