Author Topic: Hello From Jane and Charlie  (Read 3878 times)

Offline JANE D

• Site Member
Hello From Jane and Charlie
« on: February 06, 2004, 11:40:28 AM »
Hi - I have a 5month old  blue roan  cocker - Charlie - who already weighs 29lbs and stands 16ins high!! He has just taken me for a walk !! I think he will end up the size of a donkey!! I don't know how old they are when they're fully grown. As you may guess I'm new to dog owning so know I have a lot to learn. We have been to puppy classes and are starting a follow on course in 2 weeks so I'm hoping to learn how to get him to walk nicely when we're out!! I'm sure I will be logging on to this site frequently with lots of questions. Bye for now
Jane and Charlie

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 12:01:25 PM »
Hi Jane, Welcome :)
Cockers are usually fully grown by 6 months, but some can carry on till 7 or 8 months.
Charlie may have finished growing. One of mine was fully grown at 5 months and people expected him to behave like an adult but he was still a puppy :wink:  He hasn't grown anymore but has matured.
Hope You find the site useful.
Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 12:27:06 PM »
Welcome to CockersOnline, Jane.  I am just down the road from you, in Leicestershire and I have a 9 month old black cocker spaniel bitch, called Tilly.  Charlie sounds a handsome lad!  Tilly is a dainty girl and weighs just 20 lbs, but as she plays with lots of bigger dogs, I think she thinks she is a Great Dane.

Good luck with the walking.  I found that stopping in my tracks when Tilly pulled and getting her to come back to heel worked well for us.  She soon got bored and realised that pulling on her lead resulted in us going nowhere.  She is pretty good now, and only forgets herself when she sees another dog in the distance.  I never let her pull me along anywhere - but as she is only little, she can't budge me and this isn't difficult!  I am sure you will crack it with time and patience.

Have fun at classes - they're the highlight of Tilly's week.  She is in an all-cocker class, so we spend a lot of time laughing at their funny antics!

Sue                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 12:40:35 PM »
Hi Jane,

Welcome to COL, :D

I too have a blue roan - "blue" 8) , he's 10 months old now :wink:  and i'd say that he'd stopped growing by 7 months, although we thought for a while that we'd have to rename him Digby!!!!!!!!  :shock: :lol:

:D Maria & Blue :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 12:55:26 PM »
Hi Jane, welcome aboard  :D

Cockers come in all shapes and sizes - my own called Daisy is also on the larger side (maybe due, in part, to her enormous appetite!!!)  :lol:  Looking forward to hearing more about you and Charlie  :wink:                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 12:58:50 PM »
Welcome to COL Jane and Charlie  :D

I have a Liver Roan girl called Buttons (a.k.a Butty) she's a small petite girl and only weighs about 20lbs. Cockers do seem to come in all shapes and sizes...so I wouldn't worry too much  :wink:

hope you enjoy the site

Gilly & Butty                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 01:12:56 PM »
Welcome Jane & Charlie  :wink:

I have three Boys - Sebastian (Orange Roan) 6 1/2 he is on the big size and is 16 inches tall and weighs around 38lbs :roll: :oops:  Bart (Light Blue Roan) 4 3/4 is around 15 inches tall and around 33lbs and Douglas (Steel Blue Roan) 2 and a bit and is around 15 inches tall and about 28lbs. So as you can see from my three they do vary enourmously in height, build and of course weight  :wink:

I'm sure you will find this site very useful and the members/users a friendly bunch  :lol:

Dessie, Sebastian, Bart & Douglas (The Guernsey Crew)                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 02:14:00 PM »
Welcome from me too, Jane and Charlie. :)

A 3 year old cocker joined Misty's training classes this week. He is being brought along  not by the owner but by his dog walker as she is so fed up of him dragging her along on walks, she is even paying for the classes herself. :lol: Of course my two walk perfectly to heel and always have done................... and if you believe that, you'll believe anything ! :lol:  :wink:

I'm very envious of Sue going to all Cocker training clases.                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 12:48:06 AM »
:D Welcome aboard Jane and Charlie

I am mum to blue roan girl "Indie" 9 months she is quite petite!  But what she lacks in size she makes up for in presence :shock:  :D

Looking forward to reading all about Charlies antics :)                    

lynseyloo

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 09:39:14 AM »
welcome Jane and Charlie :) ...  I am the proud mummy of Jessie a black and tan girly who weighs..ooh I haven't had her weighed since November, when she had her booster..but I guess shes quite heavy as I think she was about 26lbs last time...  She's very tall, and quite a leggy girl, but it doesn't bother us in the slightest..  although she can reach things on surfaces a lot easier than I thought she could..  :roll:  :wink:

I too am envious about the all cocker class, what a lovely class that would be!...  :D                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2004, 11:02:18 AM »
Welcome Jane and Charlie :D  I too have my own donkey - an orange roan called Vegas :lol:  No idea how tall he is though  :?  Will add that to my list of things to do this weekend. Brook looks average height to me and dallas is my little titch - if I stretch the tape measure a bit, I can get him to 15" :wink:  :lol:

Anyway, hope you enjoy the site and that you find it useful                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004, 01:13:56 PM »
I too have my own donkey - an orange roan called Vegas

Gill  :lol:  :lol:                    

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2004, 11:16:53 PM »
I was out with Tia yeasterday, and we met another female black cocker. Tia was HUGE in comparison with the other one - taller, longer, larger head. Her people said that it was usual for black cockers to be small in comparions to other colours. Theirs also had a REALLY curly coat, whereas Tia is just wavy!                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2004, 07:20:33 PM »
Welcome Jane and Charlie!  Hope you find this site really helpful.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline JANE D

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 01:28:24 PM »
Thanks to all for the welcome. Just been taken for a walk again. Charlie is really good at home but as soon as I change my shoes to go out he goes bananas and doesn't seem to hear a word I say !!! He thinks everyone that passes wants to play and launches himself at them. Some people are fine but others look at me as if to say 'can't you keep that dog under control' As he is so big and strong (and I'm just 5'2'') it is getting to be a problem. I try not to go out when children are going to school  (junior school at the end of my road) as I'm sure that I've got one arm longer than the other now!!!
Also can anyone tell me if I need anything special to groom him. I have a brush with bristles one side and metally prongy things the other!!!!! and I brush him with this every day but wondered if I needed to do anything else. (I told you I was new to this and would have lots of silly questions!!!)
Charlie is lying in his bed now sleeping like a baby and looking real cute. I think I'll join him !!!!!
Jane and Charlie