Author Topic: How the heck do you keep a cocker still after an operation!!  (Read 479 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
How the heck do you keep a cocker still after an operation!!
« on: September 03, 2014, 12:46:10 PM »
Little Archie is "supposed" to be resting after his castration and anal flush yesterday but the little beggar just wants to play and wander around, instead of lying down.  I can't even take him for lead walks until he's been checked on Friday.  How do you get a cocker to not be a cocker?  :shades:

I've tried him in his crate but as he's not used it since he was 4 months old due to him using it as a toilet  ph34r I can't seem to encourage him to be still.  Ironically, he usually spends most of his time asleep on my feet whilst I work but not today.

Any advice?  I'm terrified he'll burst his stitches  :-\
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
Re: How the heck do you keep a cocker still after an operation!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
I'm sure if he were uncomfortable he would let it be known  :o
If it were me I'd just let him do what he feels happy with, within the house, not jumping on furniture of-course.
See what other answers you get.  ;)
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »
Little Archie is "supposed" to be resting after his castration and anal flush yesterday but the little beggar just wants to play and wander around, instead of lying down.  I can't even take him for lead walks until he's been checked on Friday.  How do you get a cocker to not be a cocker?  :shades:

I've tried him in his crate but as he's not used it since he was 4 months old due to him using it as a toilet  ph34r I can't seem to encourage him to be still.  Ironically, he usually spends most of his time asleep on my feet whilst I work but not today.

Any advice?  I'm terrified he'll burst his stitches  :-\

This is a tricky problem, to which - unless you consider taking out one of his batteries - I do not have an answer  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:24:36 PM »
I know after Lyla had her spinal op, John Ferguson told me she will only do what she feels comfy with. Assuming Archie isn't on painkillers that is, in which case that rule doesn't apply!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »
Thanks, I'm just being an overprotective mother I suppose.  He isn't on painkillers and seems quite happy to be up and about but I'd not forgive myself if he split his stitches because I let him get on with it  ph34r 

Battery removal sounds a good idea for times like these, I have to admit  :lol2:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »
Could you give him a frozen kong & pop him on a lead round your foot to try keep him calm? Or if he's cuddly, cuddle him till he falls asleep?

However the batteries out sounds like a good idea & maybe a bucket of super glue for good measure!  :005: I don't think cockers know the meaning of resting.
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 02:31:29 PM »
He's happily munching on a paddywhack as we speak, he is hit and miss with kongs, I think he gets bored when they're frozen  :lol2:

Will try the lead though  :D

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 03:06:10 PM »
Milly usually goes into full collapse spread out mode if I scratch the top of her head, while Chaz needs his chin tickled to achieve a similar effect but upside down  :luv:

Haven't found an "off" switch on either of them though but I'm still looking  :dunno:

Bob.