Author Topic: REMINDER. Use Scalibor collars when going abroad  (Read 1626 times)

Offline deano

• Site Member
REMINDER. Use Scalibor collars when going abroad
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:37:58 AM »
Just wanted to remind everyone that if you are taking your dogs abroad with you this year please protect them from diseases such as Leishmaniasis ... Scalibor collars stay on the dog along with their normal collar and last 6 months, you don't take them off.  Other ways to protect your dog is to not leave your pets outside at night and also use plug in insect repellents inside the building you are staying.  You may already be aware of the information above and that Leishmaniasis is spread by sandflies, most people think sand flies are at beach areas but they are also inland and especially in woodland areas and gardens at night.

Some of you may know that Frankie one of our rescue Cockers was diagnosed last summer out of the blue, 2 and 1/2 years after moving back and despite having all the necessary vaccinations to return from Spain, we were very unlucky .. All our 3 boys were never left outside and always wore saclike collars and we now believe that Frankie was exposed to sandfly long before we rehomed him. I just wouldn't want anyone else to go through the upset and worry we have had with Frankie.

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
Re: REMINDER. Use Scalibor collars when going abroad
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:49:40 PM »
Thank you for this reminder, deano.
It's soooo important to be aware of the danger of Leishmaniasis infection.
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline Olwen

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 11:26:08 PM »
Do you know if they need to wear them in Brittany? The first year we went the vet nurse at our practice advised a Scalibor collar but the vet in France said they weren't necessary in Brittany. We're going again this year, further south but still in Brittany. Don't want to expose them to unnecessary chemicals. What do you think?

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 07:55:57 AM »
Do you know if they need to wear them in Brittany? The first year we went the vet nurse at our practice advised a Scalibor collar but the vet in France said they weren't necessary in Brittany. We're going again this year, further south but still in Brittany. Don't want to expose them to unnecessary chemicals. What do you think?

I would say most definitely yes - use the collar and take special note of afore given advice.  Leishmaniasis is a horrible disease that can never be cured; though many dogs do live long lives on albeit constant medication.  Better a collar for a few months than a lifetime of drugs.  We protect all year round here in Malta where sandflies are recorded as being active even in overnight winter temperatures of 10c and below.

Enjoy your holiday  :shades:

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline Olwen

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 09:33:03 PM »
Thanks for your advice - better safe than sorry.

Offline Sirius Mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »
Thanks for this. My friend is planning to take her boy overseas this summer and I passed this on to her  :D

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:16:36 AM »
It's not just abroad - I'll be getting a Scalibor collar for Pearl this year ready for the "grand tour" in the caravan, of the South West (!) at the recommendation of the Vet Practice.....

Better safe than sorry

Deano - how is Frankie now?  Thank you for the reminder :D

Offline amichell

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 08:28:43 AM »
Yes, please, please listen to Deanno. Do get a scalibor collar and if you are travelling anywhere through France or Spain this year I would recommend using advantix or frontline too. I live in the South of France and the tick count is really high at the moment, plus we live in a red zone for Leishmaniasis.

Deanno - So sorry to hear about Frankie, how is he doing? My friends dogs is fighting against Leishmaniasis which he got last summer. It's so sad and his owner is mortified as she could of done more to prevent it. She didn't have him treated or wearing a collar because she didn't believe in putting chemicals in his body. He is now having double doses of chemicals with his medication and her opinion has dramatically changed. Her other dog is fully advantix treated and wearing a collar.
Sorry if that sounded like a dig at you Olwen, it surely wasn't, but she was of the same opinion and it had devastating consequences.  I'm a newbie to this site so don't want to upset anyone, it's just when you see this happen to your friends and right on your own doorstep, it makes you a little more passionate about warning others! 

Happy holidays everyone!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 11:47:57 AM »
Some good advice on this thread.

While I prefer not to put chemicals on Pearl after 2 ticks last year, which really irritatted her skin, I'm willing to give the collar a go.  Plus the vet suggested it would be better than any of the pipette treatments.

Now ordered at a vast £12.90! Lasts for 5-6 months too

Offline Olwen

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 10:25:10 PM »
Don't worry, I only want to do what's best to keep my dogs healthy and long-lived and will certainly be putting the collars on my two this year. Once again thanks for the advice.