Author Topic: apoquel  (Read 745 times)

Offline lilliegez

apoquel
« on: May 02, 2014, 12:23:41 PM »
Hi all, has anyone whos dog has allergies tried the drug apoquel and if so did your dog improve.  thanks.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: apoquel
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 01:05:12 PM »
Think there's been a few people on here whose dogs have had it. Brodie came close a couple of weeks ago, but thankfully the antibiotics she was given first worked. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in the future, though, from what I've read it is excellent.

Will be watching this thread with interest xx

x In memory of Barney x

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:48:15 PM »
thanks my girl has a lot of allergies and scratches a lot making herself sore.  I have tried all the natural products but with no luck.  Just gave first tablet so will keep you updated.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »
Please do, I will be really interested to see how you get on - hopefully it helps. Brodie suffers from ear and skin problems, it is horrible to see them being so itchy and sore.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 07:03:42 PM »
Yes, have a search on other thread for my name/apoquel etc  for full story.  Briefly Mollie had a very bad reaction to something - large lumps in pads, itchy skin, weepy eyes and bad ears.  She was the 1st to try brand new drug back in Feb in vets.  Vets very excited about it.  After just 3 tablets the improvement was immense!   :D

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 08:51:33 PM »
Alfie has environmental seasonal allergies and ended up on almost continuous steroids for 6mths last year. We had hoped to try him with immunotherapy but despite some big skin reactions from being out and about the allergy tests all came back  negative. Instead of trying some other skin tests our vet is trialling him on Apoquel. He started 2 weeks ago on 1 tablet twice daily and after 2 weeks we had to reduce it to 1 daily. He is not itchy at the moment and has had no outbreaks on his tummy or paws. However Alfie's previous flair ups haven't usually started until July when the pollens that cause him big problems seem to be in abundance so I think it will be July before we can call if it's a success with him.

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 12:53:35 PM »
Well just wanted to let those who are interested know that even though its only the second day on these tablets, my girl has more or less stopped scratching all together.  Im hoping she wont need to be on them long term but the change already is amazing.  she is due to begin immunotherapy soon but now im wondering if i should just try her on these tablets for a while and see how she does.  I have read what i can about the effects and compared to steroids they seem a lot safer.  if your dog is miserable from itching then id say its def worth a try.  I wanted to keep her away from drugs and try to sort the allergy issues naturally but i have tried so many things that haven't helped so as its only short term im trying this route.  i have one happy dog, she slept well and woke this morning without scratching her face and ears.  hope this helps anyone in the same position.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 05:38:06 PM »
Thanks for that, brilliant to read how well it is working. Brodie can't take steroids, so at the moment she suffers for days and weeks until the drops/baths/antibiotics finally work. Sounds like this is going to help a lot of dogs like her and your girl.

x In memory of Barney x