Author Topic: Hygiene and Raw Food  (Read 5955 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Hygiene and Raw Food
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 02:48:10 PM »
Congratulations!, Now we need lots of pictures!!!  ;)
It is quite common for vets not to be keen on raw and many will try to push their own, over priced, brands. As far as I understand, (at least here), nutrician is not part of the veterinary course  so although most vets will have a basic knowledge of food requirements, they’re rarely experts in this area and their advice is no more than you’d find in a good book.
If you‘re still a bit uncertain, my advice would be to hang on until things have calmed down a bit and once he‘s settled in and you‘re into a routine and you have a bit more time, you can think about the change over.  No point stressing yourself at this stage otherwise it‘ll take the joy away from having a new puppy and you need to relish these days, they grow SO quickly!  :luv:
I found the following facebook page quite helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/pawfect-for-pets/quick-start-guide-to-feeding-raw-this-guide-has-been-created-by-ann-ridyard-auth/293308160821029/

Looking forward to hearing more about Morty! Best of luck!

Offline MortysMum

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 01:10:58 PM »
Thought I'd weigh in again quickly with the developments with Morty and our raw food experimentation.  One of you wisely suggested I take it slowly while we get used to having a puppy around.  I took that advice, and over the weeks and months of summer, slowly got bolder with trying new foods. 

Now he is 7 months old. He gets about 1/2 the recommended dose of Arcana puppy food and the rest is supplemented so far with chicken wings or necks, frozen, out in the garden every morning, along with a selection of: raw egg, raw ground beef, raw small mackerel (frozen for 2 weeks first), dried tripe (can't find it fresh - wow, does it ever smell bad!), the occasional big knuckle bone from a cow, chicken livers and the occasional chicken/beef hearts.  I add seeweed and nutritional yeast, raspberries, spinach and carrots for colour, haha. 

The vegetables are the only things that seem not to agree with him, giving him the runs.  I tried giving him frozen peas but he managed to pick them all out which was pretty funny to watch.

This seems to work really well at this stage.  He's happy, it's easy.  Everything is available at the local market. 

I'd add pictures - he is an unusually handsome beast! - but I can't figure out how to do that on this forum.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions here.

Morty'sMum.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 04:10:07 PM »
Glad to hear its all going well!!👍
Dog?s digestive systems don?t actually break down the plants cells of vegetables so its important to either grate very finely or liquidize in order for them to be able to absorb the nutrients. Alternatively you can lightly steam or cook them first which makes them more digestable - I do them in batches and freeze onto small portions.
I buy frozen tripe here, take it out of the freezer at night and then feed it first thing in the morning so it doesn?t have time to become too smelly! ;)
It sounds as if you?re enjoying it, now that my kids have flown the nest, I actually find it quite satisfyfing to prepare food for someone who, appears at least, to appreciate my efforts!!  :lol2:

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 04:46:18 PM »
All sounds great  :D

As bizzylizzy has said if the veg is causing an issue try gently steaming them or grete them into the food, you could always liquidise  after steaming...........wait a minute , have I mistakenly gone onto a toddler feeding forum    :005: