Author Topic: What to feed the dog when travelling??  (Read 1911 times)

Offline IonaD

What to feed the dog when travelling??
« on: August 12, 2020, 06:13:37 AM »
Morning all,

Looking for a bit of advice as to what people have done in the past when travelling with their dog...

When we take Bella on car journeys we don’t feed her prior to travelling as she tends to gets car sick. I pack her a meal in a cool bag (she’s on a diet of potatoes, veg and fish) Which we then feed To her  when we reach our destination.

This is fine if we are doing an overnight or a day trip to a destination where we can then buy fresh and cook more food for her.

In September we are driving back from Italy to the UK over two nights, probably staying in accommodation with no fridge or cooking facilities.

Has anyone had the same kind of conundrum? Do you just feed them some kibble for one day or do you not feed them for a day, or do you try and get fresh ingredients. When we travelled back to the UK she was on kibble so it wasn’t a problem.

I guess I’m just looking to see what other people have done in the past if they are feeding fresh/raw?

Thank you in advance as always for any help!!

Iona & Bella

x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: What to feed the dog when travelling??
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 07:33:05 AM »
Hi,
I just feed a decent kibble or tinned food on a journey. Kibble‘s easier really, especially if you‘re in a hotel or whatever, you don‘t have the problem of washing out bowls and its just a lot less messy. I tend to just give Humphrey a tiny amount every now and again when we stop, it stops him getting too hungry but also doesn‘t overload his tummy. Obviously every dog is different, but that‘s always worked for us.
I don‘t think it does any harm now and again, - we also have to compromise foodwise on a longer journey, and trying to stick to raw diet while travelling is tricky.
Enjoy your trip!

Offline IonaD

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:58:12 AM »
Thank you for the tips. I thought that might be the case! I fed her Natural greatness kibble but it irritated her lip fold dermatitis so we moved onto fresh which cleaned it up completely. Could you recommend a good tinned food we could use? It would only be for a couple of days at most!

Thank you again.x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 02:39:22 PM »
Thank you for the tips. I thought that might be the case! I fed her Natural greatness kibble but it irritated her lip fold dermatitis so we moved onto fresh which cleaned it up completely. Could you recommend a good tinned food we could use? It would only be for a couple of days at most!

Thank you again.x

Trouble is, I live in Germany so I‘m not sure what's available where you are. A lot of the better raw food suppliers do a tinned range but I usually look for something where the ingredients are pretty clear, meat, poultry or fish and vegetables preferably, I avoid cereals and anything with „animal biproducts“ as that can mean anything! Perhaps get a couple of different smaller  tins that you can try out beforehand.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 05:27:58 PM »
https://www.vetpharmacy.co.uk/dogs-canine-food/applaws-pet-food/applaws-dog-food-chicken-breast-12-x-156g-tins-pd-1432.html
This is the one I use for Daisy when we are away in the motorhome.  Ideal size, and the fussy wee madam will actually eat it!  At home I feed raw, but try and keep a couple of these on standby in case I forget to defrost her food. Pets at Home stock it, Sainsbury's do a similar one called Encore, so you should be able to pick it up quite easily.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 09:05:54 AM »
Thanks for the info!!

We live in Italy so I will go to the pet shop and see what I can find tinned food wise, that is as close to what I feed her now as possible.

It’s only for a few days, but like you said it’s good to have on standby for emergencies.

x

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 09:58:36 AM »
Thanks for the info!!

We live in Italy so I will go to the pet shop and see what I can find tinned food wise, that is as close to what I feed her now as possible.

It’s only for a few days, but like you said it’s good to have on standby for emergencies.

x

Ooops!  That will teach me to assume you are UK based!  Hope you can find something similar.

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 04:58:42 PM »
If you can get Nature's Menu True Instinct freeze dried complete meals they are really well worth it; also they are grain free, wholesome and easy and clean to feed.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 07:56:30 PM »
Amazing!! I’ll go do some research now I’ve got some starting places.

Thanks as always for all your help.x