Author Topic: multiple un-neutered males?  (Read 1788 times)

Offline spidster

• Site Member
multiple un-neutered males?
« on: January 22, 2004, 08:42:39 PM »
Hi

Are multiple un-neutered males a problem?

I have two un neutered males and they seem fine but im looking into adding a nother dog and ive seen one thats another un-neutered male.
Just need some advice!

Em x                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 10:25:40 PM »
Hi Em, only one of my 3 boys is entire so can't answer your question from a personal point of view but a girl who I used to work with had a father and son, both of which were used as stud dogs, and they got on fine. I guess part of it must come down to the dog's in questions personalities and these two boys were the most laid-back cockers I think I'm ever going to come across :wink:  But it will be interesting to hear some personal experiences on this matter and then you can weigh up the pros and cons.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 10:45:27 PM »
Hi Em

I have three entire males ranging from 6, 4 1/2 and 2.  I've found as long as you sort out your Top Dog you will have very few problems if any.  1 of my boys has been used at Stud and he isn't the Top Dog but he knows his place.

HTH                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 09:17:11 AM »
I have two whole dogs and one whos had the snip,  and a bitch whos intact. Alfie whos had the snip is top dog and boy does everyone know it. They all get along like a house on fire , that is until someone tries to get in Alfies bed  :shock:                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 10:15:23 AM »
It all depends on the personalities/ages etc of the males concerned. As others have said, having a number of entire males together can work (as can having a number of entire females) BUT you can get personality clashes (specially if the incoming male is around the same age & has a similar temperament to one of the resident males) & no-one can really tell you in advance whether adding another entire male to your household will work or not. The best chance of things working out would be if the new dog was a very placid, laid back kind of character rather than the pushy sort who might try to take over.                    
Jane

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 11:11:42 AM »
Have to agree Jane, both my newest male and female have come from the same breeder and are the most laid back dogs in the world (until the postman comes) this has helped as they just let Alfie get on with being the boss.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang