Author Topic: Help choosing an Affix  (Read 2967 times)

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Help choosing an Affix
« on: January 28, 2004, 11:17:24 AM »
Hi,
I would like to pick everyones brain. We are trying to come up with our own affix and its driving us mad. It can be up to 12 characters long and can be made up from names places etc. We are trying to make on up using parts of our name can anyone come up with some ideas PLEASE.

Names are WILLIAM  SUSAN THOMAS.

HE BEST WE'VE COME UP WITH SO FAR IS   SANWILLMAS.

Hope you can help thanks.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 12:12:50 PM »
:D Hi Susan

How exciting :D   Best I can come up with from your names would be "SANTHOMA"  I will keep thinking!! or of course "SANTHOMAS" ooo sounds like a good place to holiday :wink: pronounced SANTOMA and SANTOMAS :D                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 01:15:39 PM »
Hiya Susan,

I wish I'd have thought of asking people on COL when I was trying to think of mine  :wink:  because it was really, really difficult. I like you tried all different variations of names etc, kids names, middle names, hubbies name, my name etc and drew a complete blank. I then tried the route of the place that I live, street names, town names etc and came up with some but nothing too exciting. In the end I ended up picking a place name that  had nothing to do with me at all  :lol:  and when I applied I didn't get it  :shock: which meant someone else had already taken it  :roll: I got my 3rd choice which is GLOWSTAR. The GLOW comes from my first name (G) Gillian and my maiden name (LOW) Lowe and then the STAR i just added on to the end as it sounded nice  :D
My second choice had been Glowdell, the "Dell" being part of an old address. but i didn't get that one either  :roll:
I'm quite happy with Glowstar now though  :wink:
Don't know if any of the above has given you any ideas, but I did get really hung up on family names, so maybe try adding other names of meaning into the equation and you might just get something  :wink:
In the meantime I'll have a think  :)

Gilly                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 01:44:18 PM »
Being a bit dim..... Is an Affix like a kennel name? and do you have to register them?

Michelle                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 02:20:10 PM »
Hi Michelle

Yes an affix is a Kennel Name - i.e. Shenmore, Bitcon, Glowhill etc etc.  You do have to register them with the Kennel Club who have records of them going back donkeys years, and you might not get the one that you like as Gilly has said above she had her 3rd choice, I was lucky and had my 1st.

HTH

My affix is from my name - Derryn De Carteret so that's how I got "Derrindee".                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 04:43:39 PM »
I know that you can have up to 12 letters, but think about it - the longer your affix, the fewer letters you can use in each puppy name.

Mine came from my 1st two Cocker bitches, Molly & Kara !                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 05:19:36 PM »
Hi Susan

I'll get my thinking cap on :lol:  Mine was easy as I wanted Brook's name in it just down to him being my first cocker and naming an affix after him is less painful than a tattoo :wink:  I just stuck my name on the fron and hey presto.....Gillbrook 8)  I think the hardest bit is thinking up 3 :?                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 07:30:59 PM »
Hiya,

I've come up with a few....probably all goobledigook  :lol:  :lol:
TANSMILL, LOWTHAM, WILSOMA, SANSOMA, THASALL, SHOTHAM, SHANIAL, SIANOSSA (said like the welsh name Sian), WILSOMA, SANSHOT, SUNWILLAT,.....thats it for now  :?

Gilly                    

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004, 02:59:26 AM »
What about "Shaloma".
Sort of an extension on the jewish greeting and includes letters from all your names.                    

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2004, 09:44:24 PM »
Oh I know what you're going trough, it's tough deciding isn't it :) ?
Shaloma sounds good to me too!

I just got my affix "Pretty Flower's" from the F.C.I, it come's from the name of my youngest (Leading-Light Pretty Flower). My first option was Katina's but someone already had took it  :cry:..                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2004, 10:23:02 PM »
I like Shaloma to.

My affix choice was really techincal :? ,  When i was cleaning out the cattery at work, i was read the paper at the same time.  There was an advert for a book about some mystical land called 'Shannara', thought to myself thats really nice and was fortunate enough to get.  :D

Torie                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 11:34:07 AM »
This might seem like a daft question but........... do you only get an affix if you want to show your dog or if you want to breed. I wondered why everyone is getting them.                    
Anita

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 08:12:46 PM »
I was just wondering the same thing, Anita.  I thought you only needed an affix if you were planning on breeding but I might be wrong - maybe you do need one to show.  I'm not planning on either but I'd be interested to know the answer, too.                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2004, 08:15:06 PM »
I think only people interested in breeding get themselves an affix so judging by thsi post, there will be lots of little cocker puppies running around some time in the future :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Help choosing an Affix
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2004, 11:07:59 PM »
Its usually would-be breeders that register their own affix but not always -I know Derryn for example isn't a breeder but she has her own affix now. You don't actually need one to show or to breed by the way - affixes are optional :)

You may be unlucky with "Shaloma" Susan as someone else has registered "Shalom" as an affix - don't think the KC would be generous enough to allow another name so similar :(                    
Jane