Author Topic: How much do you do for your cocker?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: How much do you do for your cocker?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 02:08:05 PM »
even if you buy something that he doesn't really need & understand, but makes you happy, I agree you should buy it...this is up to you...nobody can blame you...
I believe that if our actions do not affect others there is no problem...

I'm not suggesting that there is any issue with this but I do disagree with the original post in that because some people don't buy their dogs 'things' or treat them like babies that these dogs have bad lives that's that's all.  ;) I moved to the country and engineered working from home so my dogs would have a good life and we could enjoy it together and to me (and hopefully my dogs) that's more important than humanising them with gifts that's all..  ;)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 02:17:49 PM »
Probably going to get slapped now.....

It does make me cringe when people go over the top and treat their dogs all the time  ph34r ph34r IMO, that's not top on the list of what a dog wants. The dog doesn't get the idea of 'new thing's as long as he's comfy and getting attention, good food, walks and mental stimulation that's his world sorted and a very happy dog. ;)

I do spend money on my dogs when I have it but I do it for self gratification - they couldn't give 2 hoots if I'm hiding a 'professional gundog dummy' for them or a stuffed sock for them to find. They don't care if they have a nice collar and lead on or a worn out collar and a bit of string... My dogs don't get birthday and Christmas presents because they don't have a clue what that's all about. They are also not my babies, I have some babies of my own and they're very different to dogs... :lol: They are simply my dogs, I love them to pieces and feel very privileged to share my life with them and I hope I provide them with a great life in return. They get loads of entertainment in the form of walks, training and being involved with the whole family, they have company all the time, I do my best with their diet and they have a very comfy bed and now they're a little older they have Equifleeces for when they're not so warm or they're wet, but that's it...  :lol:

Slapped? Not at all! I'm with you here Hannah. :blink: As you say, a dog wouldn't know the difference between a £100 Holly & Lil Collar or a piece of string around there necks. I do buy my dogs little bits and pieces as required but I've not bought them toys for literally years now. They're quite happy with the Tuffy toys I bought them ago and a cardboard box/bottle with kibble in etc are things they love just as much! So long as they're warm, well fed, well excerised, well loved and comfortable - they're happy IMO.

As for other breeds not being as loving as cockers...spend a day with Mika, Penny, Sophie and Mum's little Papillons and you'll soon change your mind!!  :005: Lexi (Mum's youngest) is the cuddliest, lickiest little doggie I've ever known  :005: :luv: IMO they're all as loving as each other :D

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 02:19:50 PM »
even if you buy something that he doesn't really need & understand, but makes you happy, I agree you should buy it...this is up to you...nobody can blame you...

I'm not suggesting that there is any issue with this but I do disagree with the original post in that because some people don't buy their dogs 'things' or treat them like babies that these dogs have bad lives that's that's all.  ;) I moved to the country and engineered working from home so my dogs would have a good life and we could enjoy it together and to me (and hopefully my dogs) that's more important than humanising them with gifts that's all..  ;)

Yes, I think I probably agree with you on that, Hannah.

Funny thing though. I am certain that the most important things in Buddy's life are us and food (I may have got the order wrong there, but you know what I mean!). However our container arrived last week and as we are gradually unpacking all our junk precious belongings we couldn't possibly live without I have thrown Buddy his old favourite toys, and he really does seem to be extra happy about them. In fact this evening we have found the plastic bin we keep his toys in and he has had such fun dragging it around the room. Very sweet and funny.

I do still feel that he didn't really miss them, but I do think he is happy to see them again. It's just down to familiar smells etc though.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 02:37:16 PM »

I'm not suggesting that there is any issue with this but I do disagree with the original post in that because some people don't buy their dogs 'things' or treat them like babies that these dogs have bad lives that's that's all.  ;) I moved to the country and engineered working from home so my dogs would have a good life and we could enjoy it together and to me (and hopefully my dogs) that's more important than humanising them with gifts that's all..  ;)

Yes, I think I probably agree with you on that, Hannah.

Funny thing though. I am certain that the most important things in Buddy's life are us and food (I may have got the order wrong there, but you know what I mean!). However our container arrived last week and as we are gradually unpacking all our junk precious belongings we couldn't possibly live without I have thrown Buddy his old favourite toys, and he really does seem to be extra happy about them. In fact this evening we have found the plastic bin we keep his toys in and he has had such fun dragging it around the room. Very sweet and funny.

I do still feel that he didn't really miss them, but I do think he is happy to see them again. It's just down to familiar smells etc though.

Aw Buddy :luv: :luv: I actually felt a bit emotional reading that :lol: Bless him :luv: Would absolutely love to know what's gone through his mind the last few months :005: but I'm sure getting you lot back beats his toy bin even if he did have a lot of fun :luv:. Glad your container arrived ok :D

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 05:17:14 PM »
My dogs don't get birthday and Christmas presents because they don't have a clue what that's all about.

I know Honey doesn't know what Christmas and Birthday is, but she DOES get pressies for these days   ph34r - she loves unwrapping them and this last Christmas she was probably more excited about her little pile of parcels than the adults who were there....  :005: 
And at least this way I limit the times I buy a bunch of new toys to twice a year!!!!  :005: (Not that we buy her a lot anyway.... we just wrap stuff up loads so she has fun unwrapping things!!!!)
When our friend brought round Honey's Christmas pressie last year, she seemed to sense it was hers (or smelled the rawhide through the packaging!!!) and was really excited by it...
I know she'd be just as excited if she got pressies any other time, but I do like to include her in events like that. 

I do agree with the sentiment of your post, Hannah - and Honey most definately is our pet, not our baby (she's a well loved pet, and we've altered our lives a lot to accommodate her, but she's definately a pet!). 

In general, there is nothing wrong with indulging your pets with nice stuff, as long as you also have the basics in place for them - the people I have a problem with (and this doesn't apply to anyone on here!!!) are those who indulge their pets instead of providing the basics (walks, training, boundaries, the chance to be a dog....).

Those that just provide the bare minimum (food, shelter and a grudging walk) are definately missing out on what is a fantastic relationship between dog and owner - I don't find needing to ensure Honey isn't left alone too long as a chore, it's a pleasure to make sure she has what she needs... and it's that feeling that the "it's only a dog" brigade that the OP was referring to are missing out on.  I don't spend my time with her because I have to, it's because I want to.  :luv:  And I'm sure everyone on this forum is exactly the same, no matter how much they actually spend on "stuff" - lets face it, if our dogs weren't more than "just a dog" to us, we wouldn't spend half our lives talking about them, finding out how to deal with little training issues, posting photos and generally telling the world how fantastic they are!!!  :005:

I have thrown Buddy his old favourite toys, and he really does seem to be extra happy about them. In fact this evening we have found the plastic bin we keep his toys in and he has had such fun dragging it around the room. Very sweet and funny.

Honey is like this when we dig out a toy from the bottom of her toy box that she hasn't played with for a while... I'm sure Buddy's loving having all his stuff back with him!!!  :luv:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »
My dogs don't get birthday and Christmas presents because they don't have a clue what that's all about.

I know Honey doesn't know what Christmas and Birthday is, but she DOES get pressies for these days   ph34r - she loves unwrapping them and this last Christmas she was probably more excited about her little pile of parcels than the adults who were there....  :005: 
And at least this way I limit the times I buy a bunch of new toys to twice a year!!!!  :005: (Not that we buy her a lot anyway.... we just wrap stuff up loads so she has fun unwrapping things!!!!)
When our friend brought round Honey's Christmas pressie last year, she seemed to sense it was hers (or smelled the rawhide through the packaging!!!) and was really excited by it...
I know she'd be just as excited if she got pressies any other time, but I do like to include her in events like that. 

I do agree with the sentiment of your post, Hannah - and Honey most definately is our pet, not our baby (she's a well loved pet, and we've altered our lives a lot to accommodate her, but she's definately a pet!). 

In general, there is nothing wrong with indulging your pets with nice stuff, as long as you also have the basics in place for them - the people I have a problem with (and this doesn't apply to anyone on here!!!) are those who indulge their pets instead of providing the basics (walks, training, boundaries, the chance to be a dog....).

Those that just provide the bare minimum (food, shelter and a grudging walk) are definately missing out on what is a fantastic relationship between dog and owner - I don't find needing to ensure Honey isn't left alone too long as a chore, it's a pleasure to make sure she has what she needs... and it's that feeling that the "it's only a dog" brigade that the OP was referring to are missing out on.  I don't spend my time with her because I have to, it's because I want to.  :luv:  And I'm sure everyone on this forum is exactly the same, no matter how much they actually spend on "stuff" - lets face it, if our dogs weren't more than "just a dog" to us, we wouldn't spend half our lives talking about them, finding out how to deal with little training issues, posting photos and generally telling the world how fantastic they are!!!  :005:

I have thrown Buddy his old favourite toys, and he really does seem to be extra happy about them. In fact this evening we have found the plastic bin we keep his toys in and he has had such fun dragging it around the room. Very sweet and funny.

Honey is like this when we dig out a toy from the bottom of her toy box that she hasn't played with for a while... I'm sure Buddy's loving having all his stuff back with him!!!  :luv:

TOTALLY agree with everything you have said here ;) :D couldnt have put it better myself!! xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 06:33:54 PM »
we love our two cockers Benson and Cloe very much especially those lovely soft kisses only a cocker can give,however we love Gem our sixteen year old Jack Russel just as much and find she can be just as loving in her own gentle way :luv: :D.
we dont spend lots on toys,they have good quality tough toys that last for ages plus tennis balls for their walks and they love simple things like kitchen roll tubes ect. At xmas they seam to like ripping the wrapping paper up more than the toys them selves :005:
we do spend lots on them in other ways thoe like driving round looking for exiting new walks to take them on,vets fees,always planning our holidays around them,towels,bedding and training classes. On xmas eve this year after being let down by on line food suppliers I had to make a 60 mile round trip through the snow to get Benson his puppy kibble ph34r, only other dog lovers would understand why we do things like this. ;)

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 06:51:04 AM »
It's not about what I buy for my dogs, as I don't spend alot, I used to, but she doesn't actually need a new collar every week ph34r
But my day revolves around being there for my dog, walking, cuddling, and just enjoying each others company, whether that be her lying under the ironing board right in the way, or lying on the bed I'm trying to change  >:D :005:

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 09:13:26 AM »

I'm not suggesting that there is any issue with this but I do disagree with the original post in that because some people don't buy their dogs 'things' or treat them like babies that these dogs have bad lives that's that's all.  ;) I moved to the country and engineered working from home so my dogs would have a good life and we could enjoy it together and to me (and hopefully my dogs) that's more important than humanising them with gifts that's all..  ;)
Ι agree 100%! The most important is to give them a really good life...lucky you...working from home!!
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976