Author Topic: Puppy Show groom  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Correze

Puppy Show groom
« on: April 20, 2023, 08:42:58 AM »
Hi,  this month I have become the proud mum to a super little boy, ( BR) and hoping to show him. Any pointers to grooming a puppy for show.. I have shown Clumbers and Goldens in past, done all my own grooming. ( had  2 Uk Sh Ch, so didn’t do a bad job !) But, looks like clipping is involved in this breed! I live in France now, so not easy to get advice. Are there any videos you can recommend? I’m also wondering why I haven’t had cockers before.. he’s 16 weeks and an absolute delight! By far the easiest puppy I’ve ever had! 🥰🥰 The avatar is him  and my Golden boy last night just getting along so well. Thanks for any advice.

Offline Correze

Re: Puppy Show groom
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 08:45:02 AM »
I’ve just noticed all the pinned posts! ( it’s very early!😴) I’ll look through those.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 11:05:58 AM »
Hi, oh what a little beauty his is! I agree about cockers, although I know from here that not all cocker pups are always easy, my boy was actually not that bad and they are indeed a wonderful breed, Humphrey was my first too, I‘ve loved all my dogs but Humph‘ has taken over my heart!  :luv:
I groom myself and do use clippers in parts since he was castrated as the coat has altered and produces so much undercoat its hard to cope with but the general opinion is that clipping will spoil the coat and shouldn‘t be done if you’re intending to show.
I live in the sticks, in Germany, and have also found it hard to find good advice as cockers are no where near as popular as they are in UK. (Which is why COL is so great!) There are a couple of videos from ProGroomer online which I found helpful.
Good luck with showing him!   ;)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 11:35:14 AM »
My little boy is just over six months and yesterday he went for his first groom introduction.  I have 25 years of cockers but Harry is my first blue and there are three distinct types and textures of coat.  So I started to comb him with the old elastic band in top comb to get the down out.  Because of the texture I went to groomer who gave some advise and has here own show cocker BR that she shows at grooming shows. Plus told to stop with the comb till older :shades:

My understanding is that a show cockers should be hand stripped only.  Plus blues should have there coat grow out till all puppy hair is finished.  My boy is going back in June to check where is coat is at.  I was told yesterday that sometimes they are near 9 to 12mths.  Also once you move away from hand strip you cannot return. We discussed this at length as my boy is a pet and I have no other intentions for him.  I have decided that I would like him to be hand stripped just to see how he looks and I cope and later move away to a easier option as he gets older and possibly is neutered which will change his coat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3TMXKNEoko

This groomer Mike Wildman I believe grooms and shows BR also judges groomers too.  Not sure if he has his own online trainer seminars.  Worth a google.  Also others on You tube, not sure how it works in France to view the English site.

https://www.facebook.com/groomersofchampionschampiongroomers/videos/986923092277143/

Hope this helps as I am a newbie to the world of blue roan coats :005:  Wish you luck as have no expereince other the my keeping doggy tidy routines.

Julie and Harry Hoo (my lttle Houdini)
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed