Author Topic: Scissors  (Read 2157 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Scissors
« on: May 10, 2023, 10:25:17 AM »
Hi,
Just wondering what sort of scissors/shears any of you use for cutting the sides and front legs of an increasingly wooly castrated gold cocker?
I‘ve got a trimmer with various blades but I‘ve never used it on back and sides as I don’t want a completely shaved look.  The coat king takes some of the thickness out (I only use it every few weeks) but it doesn’t achieve a well groomed finished look, the coat is becoming harder and harder to manage and looks really untidy most of the time. People always think he‘s an old dog but its only because he looks like a fat wooly bear!  :005:  Humph‘ can‘t stand in one position for too long and I have to do it in stages anyway, so scissors are more practical than using trimmers.
Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated! (Good groomers are hard to find in my neck of the woods unfortunately! )
 Thanks!  :luv:
xx jayne

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
Re: Scissors
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 02:26:55 PM »
Worth investing in some good quality thinning scissors to take some of the weight out of the coat on the legs.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 06:07:51 PM »
Thank you, I‘ll have a look at those.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Scissors -another question
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 07:04:18 AM »
Sorry, I need more help  :huh: - I‘ve looked online but am a bit baffled by the choice of scissors - what sort should I be looking at? there are one sided, double sided, short, long, and various numbers of teeth. Unfortunately a lot of the companies (here) offering higher quality grooming tools are aiming at professional groomers who presumably know what they’re looking for  :shades:I‘m prepared to invest  in a good pair so don’t want to buy completely the wrong thing, could you point me in the right direction please?
Any tips appreciated! Many thanks!  :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 10:20:13 AM »
https://youtu.be/jkZo8AMphD8
Have a look at this video Jayne, groomer doing a pet cut and wielding thinning scissors. If you are doing major cutting with them I would think a heavy duty pair would be best, as they tend to remove hair quite slowly, and it makes your hand ache, so small and lightweight would take longer and be more onerous. I just tend to use clippers and ordinary scissors now as it's quicker and I have got into a method.

Got Covid at the moment and been in bed for a week, Dylan has not left my side  :luv:.
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 10:44:42 AM »
Oh Lesley poor you....hope you feel better soon.  Good boy Dylan for looking after Mum.

Jayne not sure if this helps but the thinning out scissors have a straight blade and one serrated blade. Or at least some do...the link Lesley have give from Wahl is great.

Think I am lucky with Harry...only had a tidy up at the groomers and she is an owner of 2 cockers one a blue roan.....never had a cocker like Harry three totally different textures of coat and boy do the white hairs shed.

Have fun....hugs to Humph
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 01:12:33 PM »
Thanks both,!! I‘ve emailed a company this morning who have got a large variety and asked them for advice so will see what they suggest.
I‘ve watched that video several times, both that one and the other Pro Groomer one are really good but its a bit like reading the gardening books on how to prune the roses, - mine never look that the ones demonstrated to start with!!  :lol2: :lol2: Humphrey‘s neck and back still boast a glossy „normal“ coat which is why I‘m reluctant to trim but legs and sides are typical castrated cocker  :shades:  But its nevertheless good to see the way she actually uses the scissors. 👍
We‘re training for a Dog Fitness demonstration at an open day at our dog club in July, so I‘m hoping to get him looking a bit presentable by then.  :005:
Hope you’re feeling better soon Lesley, glad to hear Dylan‘s taking care of you!  :luv: :luv:
Love to Harry and Dylan xxx  :luv: