Author Topic: First Aid Kit for dogs - what should I have please?  (Read 27745 times)

Offline Doggiecrazy

Re: First Aid Kit for dogs - what should I have please?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 09:26:41 AM »
After rereading my post I forgot to write that when bandaging a foot you should put bits of cotton wool between their toes. This stops the toes from rubbing. Dogs only sweat from their merocrine glands in their feet so the cotton wool absorbs the sweat to prevent sores.
One cocker leads to another...

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 07:19:06 PM »
This is all so complex that I have decided it would be easier to kidnap a vet and take them instead!

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 07:34:34 PM »
The one thing I do know is what to do if a dog is bitten by an adder as it happened to a friend's Cocker puppy years ago. Luckily he survived.

elaine, can you tell us what to do if a dog is bitten by an adder?  (great post by the way)

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 07:42:46 PM »
Neon, you took the words right off my keyboard! Elaine.e please do tell as we live in an area where adders are seen and Clover is going out and about as from Thursday!!!  :blink:!
To know them is to love them.....

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 09:39:42 PM »
There's a few threads on COL about adders, but this one is especially useful as it contains a post by Hurtwood Dogs, whose Weimeraner was bitten by an adder, as well as general good advice -
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=83991.msg1246743#msg1246743

If your dog is bitten you should go to a vet immediately. Keep your vet's phone number (and an out of hours one if they provide that service) on your mobile so you can phone ahead. If you can carry your dog back to the car that may help limit the spread of the venom. Don't do a John Wayne and try and suck the venom out as that may do further harm.

This link has good info. from a vet http://www.vetbase.co.uk/information/common-european-adder-bites-dogs.php

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 09:50:12 PM »
Thanks Elaine.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline CospyCockerSpaniel

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »
Learning some first aid skills is also something all owners should have. Basic first aid skills are life savers.
American Cocker Spaniel training is not a joke. You need to have patience, dedication, perseverance, and heart. Do you have them all???

Offline SteveB

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 12:45:12 PM »
If you do not mind hanging on a bit Andrea is attending a NOBS run first aid course for dogs in the early part of february. Will get her to post on here what she has been told. If anybody wants to attend I believe there are still places in the Swindon area.

Offline Doggiecrazy

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 02:38:05 PM »
Haven't been on here for ages, just read this back and thought I would add ideally carry the pet so that the bite wound in closer to the floor then the heart. First aid courses are a really good idea to go on.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »
Please no ky jelly or vaseline on burns or scalds!
Burns should be run under cold water for 10 mins
or thereabouts and wrapped loosely in clingfilm before
going off to the vets.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 03:27:29 PM »
I am going away in a few weeks and was wondering what essentials I should take. I'll print the lists off and make a kit for him :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Doggiecrazy

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »
Would be good to make a complete list of things needed and basic first aid advice I posted a long list further up but it prob needs revisiting now as things always change, used to recommend using savlon on dogs cuts but now its not recommended because the ingredients changed slightly and more information about it is now known.

Offline CherryT

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 10:55:59 PM »
I think these lists are grsat and I will certainly print them off for fututre junior dog.  I an amazed that everyone has all this stuff with them, it is realy impressive.  I had nothing lke this for Lucy - well, I had rescue remedy and various things around, perhaps  I was just very lucky that we never needed much.  I have to say that if we lived near the New Forest I would have everything!  Where we live, in the Hambleden Valley, with so many deer, I am very aware of ticks and get quite nervous walking through the fields and try and make sure I have the right kind of clothes on to stop them coming near me!